Can someone help me with good advice for a tune up? I have a 1990 Odyssey automatic 6cyl. What is a good plug brand to install for enhanced fuel economy and longevity? The engine starts right up and runs smooth, but my economy is lacking around 12mpg. What are the experiences out there with plugs for the V6? Also, will install a new fuel and air filter. The engine has 45k miles and has been well maintained, though I think the previous owners just put in standard parts and I would like to get the best enhancements for obvious performance reasons.

All advice or tips would be greatly appreciated, :help: please. I plan to start traveling quite a bit soon, mostly in some higher altitudes in the Northwest. I don't have all the tools and knowledge, therefore; I will be taking it to a mechanic and need to communicate clearly what all should be done.

Thanks,

Dave

I have really experimented with spark plugs on both the four and six cylinder Toy engines.

I thought that I was doing good buying Bosch 4 element platinum plugs for my six. Wrong! They started off good but after a month degraded. The reviewers said the same thing.

I was going to buy NGK iridiums which have very good reviews. However, I stumbled across some reviews of Autolite XP Iridiums. I usually would ignore Autolite but there wasn't one bad review of these plugs. The thing that also attracted me was that that the side electrode had a platinum button which means longer life.

Anyway I tried the Autolites and they work great. I think there's still a rebate on them. Be careful that they're properly gapped. Autolite screwed up a batch. There's two gap specs for the six, 0.028 and 0.032. The iridiums are very difficult to re-gap because of the fine center iridium electrode which can be easily damaged. If the store won't re-gap them for you then stick to the NGK iridums. They're expensive but good.

Thanks for the tips....I was looking at getting the NGKs also. After reading up on the Autolite Xp they sound good also. I liked the side electrode platinum button too. I would rather pay more and not have to change them in a year, plus get response on those long uphill climbs.

Any further advice or experience from anyone for increased m.p.g. enhancements (other than common sense driving)~~~fill me in!

'best' to all,

Dave

Regarding your low MPG, be sure to check that your rear brakes are not dragging a little.

The best way to verify this is after you drive for 30 or so minutes, feel the rear rims with

your hand to see if it is warm or hot, if it is, you have a brake dragging, the rear drums

should be air temperature. Also, be careful to not burn your fingers, so you may want

to drop a few drops of water on the rim.

Dennis...

I've have a 91 winne V6/auto

Is the OD working& torque converter locking up.

Timing correct.

Air filter Clean.

Converter not plugged.

Mine Gets 13.6 mpg average.sometimes 14+ & as low as 11+ usally thiers some wind in this area. I only use the OD if it doesn't shift to much usally do it manualy

• 4 years later...