refer n/w

Great forum and thanks for your help.

In trying to routine my new 93 Dolphin, I find the refrigerator (dometic rm2410) won't work on gas or electric. Plugging it in trips the gfi every time. In order to test I'm supposing I have to bring voltage to the unit by bypassing the gfi which feeds it on the load side. Im hesitatant to do this being unfamiliar with the cause of the ground fault being triggered. Anyone have any experience troubleshooting this particular problem? Fridge is level, ventilated, gas pilot does light, but no cooling.

steve

• 2 weeks later...

Plugged the refer direct to AC and the heating element worked. Let it run for 4 hours, put it back into the GFI circuit, did'nt trip the GFI. Ran it on gas, cooled as well. Hasn't been used in 5 years. Can anyone help me understand what happened?

Plugged the refer direct to AC and the heating element worked. Let it run for 4 hours, put it back into the GFI circuit, did'nt trip the GFI. Ran it on gas, cooled as well. Hasn't been used in 5 years. Can anyone help me understand what happened?

Did you take off the burner cover and look for insect nests (spiders, mud dabbers, etc). For some reason nest making bugs love to get into the fridge heating area as well as your furnace and water heater burners.

Here is some reading for you before you start taking things apart

http://www.rvdoctor.com/Refrigerator.html

http://www.rverscorner.com/articles/refer.html

http://www.fabuloustravel.com/campers/rvtips/rvfridge.html

Your problem may have been lack of use and settling of the ammonia. These things need to be used on a regular basis to keep everything working.

A general cleaning would be in order just because of the 5 years of storage.

All good links, thanks. I know my limitations, but when I questioned two techs about this problem, both recomended replacement. What a shock. Your second link was what I was looking for as far as how far to disassemble, i.e. part #6, just the cover. I like the settling explanation, and the disuse theory works for almost everything, including us, unfortunately. Thanks for your help.

my experince supports the "setting" theory. Cleaning the burner on my frig made all the difference - there was ash built up on the burner - it is right behind an easy to remove cover on the right side (facing the back of the frig) - the cover should be warm (hot).