puzzling red lighted toggle switch next to instrument panel dimmer

markg

Can anyone help me out of my puzzle with this red (lighted when switched on) toggle switch? What is it for? It looks original and is located just above the hood release lever. It's on an 87 Dolphin 900 version. The owner's manual call it a "rear deck light" but I think that's just for a pick-up only. Thanks much in advance. Mark@phch.org

Now that's an interesting idea about the rear deck light... that's what my owner's manual calls it, too... Could it be for a light that illuminates the RV/motorhome inside which is activated from the cab at that toggle in question? Anybody have an RV light switch that can be turned on from the cab? Thanks! Mark

Figured it out (I think).... What it (red lighted toggle) does is ground out (through the lighted toggle) the blue (hot) lead coming into the transmission relay. This would have the effect (I presume) of defeating that relay which I suspect is linked to the high altitude sensor. Also, on closer inspection, the toggle is definitely after market and the transmission relay is stock. So someone wanted to be able to defeat the high alt sensor with the flip of a switch. I'll confirm thins on my first trip over Donner pass in a couple months. Does this make sense to you tech folks? - Or am I off base here? thanks, Mark

• 1 year later...

Can anyone help me out of my puzzle with this red (lighted when switched on) toggle switch? What is it for? It looks original and is located just above the hood release lever. It's on an 87 Dolphin 900 version. The owner's manual call it a "rear deck light" but I think that's just for a pick-up only. Thanks much in advance. Mark@phch.org