1985 Sunrader concerns.Rear axle

Guest Rob Davis

Greetings,I've never posted here but do visit this great site.I'm the soon to be proud owner of a 1985 Sunrader with 82000 miles.The toyota cab was made in late 1984.My only concern is this,it doesn't have the 6 lug axle.I went to the axle facts part of this site and that was very helpful but I'm not sure I'm "getting it".From what I understand 1985 was a transition year and toyota supplied a heavey duty 5 lug axle that wasn't part of the recall.On my soon to be paid for Sunrader the wheel has the 5 bolts/lugnuts on the outer part and 5 bolts around the inner axlecenter.My wife and 2.5 year old daughter will be the ones traveling with me so you can imagine my concerns.Does anyone know who made the Sunrader or how I can find out if this was recalled?I called the Ntsb in the axle fact section and didn't get an answer.Thank you to any and all who respond.Rob

Hi Rob and welcome to the site. The manufacturer of the Sunrader is long out of business. I do not think Toyota is honoring the recall anymore.

The only good axle for our motorhomes is the 6 lug full floating. You did not say what size your Sunrader is but for comparison our 18 footer weighed in at 6800 pounds fully loaded. There have been a couple discussions on the site here, one about a 18 foot 4x4 sunrader where the axle did break. They were lucky as they were moving at a very slow speed when it broke. Replacement of the bad axle with a full floater can be a bit of work. It will probably need some fabrication to fit it in place. There are members here who have done the swap. Your best bet would be to become a member (its free) and post your questions in the main areas. No matter what my personal opinion is that you do want to replace that axle.

Guest Rob Davis

Hi Greg,thank you for your reply and welcome,I appreciate it.For some reason,mainly me not being computer literate,I've been having a hard time registering here.I'll figure it out as this is such a great site and I really want to be a member.I hear what you are saying and that would be the best path to take but the cost is not going to be inexpensive is it.My family is priceless and I don't want to put them in danger but Tthe unit has 82000 miles and apparantly the "beefed up 5 lug axle with the bolts around the center that wasn't recalled and has never recorded a failure.It really boils down to if I can live with myself if I didn't change it and somthing bad happened.Thank you again for your thoughts and welcome.Rob

• 4 weeks later...
Guest guest

Anyone know about the 1985 NISSAN Sunrader? I have an opportunity to buy one, but I wasn't sure if it had the same recall issues as the toyota?