Automatic Transmission problem

basswoodman

Hi Everybody,

I am new to this site and need some help. I have a 1986 Toy with a 22RE motor and automatice transmission. It only has 26,000 miles on it. Transmission has been working just perfect until this spring. I took it to town the other day and everything was fine, shifted perfect. On the way home it refused to shift up from low to 2nd. I replaced the 15 amp fuses and checked the fluid level. She still will not shift up. Any ideas on where to turn next? I need help!

Basswoodman

Hi Everybody,

I am new to this site and need some help. I have a 1986 Toy with a 22RE motor and automatice transmission. It only has 26,000 miles on it. Transmission has been working just perfect until this spring. I took it to town the other day and everything was fine, shifted perfect. On the way home it refused to shift up from low to 2nd. I replaced the 15 amp fuses and checked the fluid level. She still will not shift up. Any ideas on where to turn next? I need help!

Basswoodman

Howdy,

I have a 1987 and I found with mine that in high altitude the thing would not shift into overdrive, I think it is designed to operate this way. I am not sure if that is what is happening with you, but if you recently went over 3500 foot elevation an it stopped shifting into overdrive I would guess that is what is going on. Seems like awfully low mileage to be having tranny issues. Good luck!

Hi Everybody,

Basswoodman

First things first check the fluid level and have a look at the color and give it a sniff test. If it’s full look at the color if it’s brown and smells bad that’s not a good thing. The shift points are mostly controlled by the extra cable that is attached to the throttle assembly so make sure the cable is in place and not broken. It hooks around the linkage and it is not difficult to remove the little cable from the linkage if you have a close look you’ll see how it works. You should be able to pull the cable and feel some resistance it is spring loaded when you get towards the end it will pull a little harder. If it pulls easily it has come undone inside or it’s broken. Also if it is pulled out and will not go back in then the cable needs to be replaced. If all that seems all right then I am afraid you got internal problems. There were some issues with the governor sealing rings on those transmissions but not with mileage that low.

Thank you MAINEAH!

Your advice was right on the money. I got the transmission working today. I found that at some point it had been touched by a torch and burnt the outside coating off down in the transmission area. I checked with our closest Toyota dealer which is 50 miles away and got a new cable ordered. In the meantime I took it apart and sprayed a half a can of JB80 down it and by working it back and forth I got it loose but I could still feel fragments inside. So to make a long story short we can now drive it to our Toyota dealer. Thanks so much again, you will never know how much your information was appreciated. :ThumbUp:

Basswoodman

Good deal cheap fix. Yeah if they burnt it, it got water inside and the inner cable rusted. You should be OK if the dealer fixes it but it does have a great effect on the shift points so if you find it shifting too late or too early let me know and I'll talk you thru it.