HAIL! HAIL! AND MORE HAIL!

thepager5

Hey guys - by now you might have seen on the National news about the Hail Storm we had yesterday in Fort Smith, Arkansas.

The top of my Dolphin is now in need of vent lids, refrig lid, and AC shroud.

Vent lids I can find OK - but - I am in need of a shroud for an Intertherm Polaris AC and a refrig shroud that looks like a little baking pan.

Any help with this is appreciated.

Thanks

Pager

Arkansas

post-1069-1207856171_thumb.jpg

post-1069-1207856195_thumb.jpg

post-1069-1207856230_thumb.jpg

post-1069-1207856254_thumb.jpg

Wow what a mess! Hope you have insurance that plastic stuff is expensive. I replaced all of the plastic on mine when I got it a few years ago and I think the a/c cover was close to $200 and the big vent cover was like $65. The sun light and old age got mine. Can you find Intertherm on the web?

Hope you were in shelter when that hit. The size of the hail might have taken you out too. That is a large amout of damage.

I just got the 14 inch vent covers from: BYERLY TRAILER & MFG, Eureka, Mo

636-938-2000. They were very helpful. I got the lifetime warrenty ones for my RV made from Lexan for 29 dollars each. They may be able to help with the other vents or point you to someone with a parts RV. Good luck I hope you find it all.

Huxz

Edited by huxz

Too bad, looks like it did some damage. I found the top vent covers at my local RV retailer pretty cheap. Some other general type stores in town carry RV supplies and have lens covers/fixtures. You might try the RV retailer on the A/C, I am sure they have a source for parts. If you have insurance, you might be able to get your insurance to replace the entire AC unit if parts are not available for the old one. I replaced a couple of my marker lights with LED, a lot of work and no room for the wires though. Good luck!

Hey there Guys,

Started my road to repair today - going good! My local RV dealer had the vents for $15 each, the escape hatch for $8 and the refrige vent cover for $7 (old inventory). Still looking for the A/C cover - found one new for $265.

Here are some pics from today - will be lap sealing tomorrow and getting ready for full roof seal job.

Keep me in mind if you see an A/C shroud for in Intertherm Polaris.

Thanks,

Pager

Arkansas

post-1069-1208132916_thumb.jpg

post-1069-1208132941_thumb.jpg

post-1069-1208132967_thumb.jpg

post-1069-1208133018_thumb.jpg

How big is your escape hatch? I'm pretty sure I had to pay about $60 for mine and looked all over for one now I feel mistreated. Good find on your parts all most back to normal drive fast and look for bridges to hide under next time!

Hey guys - My Toyo was a sitting duck in the driveway! I just wish I had a bridge.

I will have to have new windows and roof on my house and my wifes car has $6K damages.

Now to Toyo business . . .

I have a good friend who owns a sign shop. I spoke to him today about my A/C shroud.

I was going to have him cut a piece of baked enamal aluminum sheeting the size of my a/c shround and bolt it on. He did not think that was the best. Here is what he suggested . . .

He gave me some dark brown heavy gauge vinyl w/ 15 year crack and fade warranty. I did mention he gave it to me, right. He said to apply a small amount on the inside to work the holes, but to put 2 layers on the outside making sure to press together the vinyl. THIS STUFF STICKS TO ANYTHING.

So after it was done, I carried it out and remaounted it. I must say, I am impressed with it and if it holds up it will make me smile when I see it and realize that it could have cost $300 to replace.

Note: I even got creative with my razorblade. Like the Dolphin?

Next - total roof seal and lap cement, then bring on the rain (but no HAIL!)

Thanks Guys!

Pager - 86 Dolphin

Arkansas

post-1069-1208225381_thumb.jpg

post-1069-1208225405_thumb.jpg

post-1069-1208225425_thumb.jpg

post-1069-1208225447_thumb.jpg

post-1069-1208225467_thumb.jpg

Started my road to repair today - going good! My local RV dealer had the vents for $15 each, the escape hatch for $8 and the refrige vent cover for $7 (old inventory).

I need an escape hatch cover as mine is missing a corner. Do they have another one and what size is it? I'll hop up on the roof of mine tomorrow and measure the cover.

Looks like you have the same kind of AC unit I do. Keep me in mind if you find any covers. It would be nice to have a spare on the shelf if I can find one reasonably

Hey there Moosepucky,

The escape hatch is an elixer hinge and 17.5 X 24.5 and he has a few in the box. See my other post to see how I repaired my cover for now.

I have found a few A/C shrouds for my Intertherm Polaris but they have been over $285. There is a guy in Redmond Washington on Craigslist that has the complete A?C with the shroud for $200. Shipping it to Arkansas was not feesable.

Let me know what size your hatch is and I will check with Steve to see if he has what you need.

He has pleanty of elixer hatches and some inside mount rings and screens.

Pager

Hi Pager,

You did a great job on your A/C shroud repair. Nice pics, too. We're your neighbors to the west in Oklahoma and everytime we hear the words "hail" we hope we'll be spared. The front of our Dolphin has some dimples from past hail damage. We live near an overpass and can try to drive there if needed. Our A/C shroud is metal so the only thing that would break is the vent covers and there is a Maxx Air on one of them. These things are fun, aren't they?!!! Just like a house, there is always something to fix. Sure hope you won't have more hail, but where we both live, there is always that chance.

Charles & Dianne and The Boys

The escape hatch is an elixer hinge and 17.5 X 24.5 and he has a few in the box.

24 x 17 so it is the same size.

Let me know their phone # and I will call and order a replacement for my broken one.

Hey there Moosepucky,

Call Crabtree RV in Alma, Arkansas at 1-877-256-2090 or 1-479-632-0829 and

select #3 for parts.

ASK FOR STEVE - tell him you are friends with Kevin the Toyota Guy and you are calling about the 17 X 24 escape hatch (he has some already boxed and ready to ship).

He said he will sell it cheap and send it out UPS immediately.

e-mail me if you have any problems.

Thanks,

Pager

Call Crabtree RV in Alma, Arkansas at 1-877-256-2090 or 1-479-632-0829 and

select #3 for parts.

ASK FOR STEVE - tell him you are friends with Kevin the Toyota Guy

Ordered this morning.

They have 3 left.

I've been looking for a replacement cover for about a year. Ended up having to buy a complete new hatch which now will be another spare RV part :(

Luckily to find these.

The closest RV place to me is about 125 miles away.

THANKS!!!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Talked to Steve yesterday,

He said there have been 4 more customers from our Toyota Group that have ordered. I will see him this week for a tire cover and ask him if he has any other things that we might need he can supply us with.

Here is a pic I took this last Saturday at the lake.

New Hatch and vent look and work great!

Pager

Arkansas

post-1069-1209355599_thumb.jpg

Hey there Joe,

I just went to the sign shop - I have a friend that has a sign business and he gave me some heavy weight vinyl - like they put on a sign, cars, buildings, etc.

This stuff has a 15 year wear rating - no cracking or fading.

I just applied a couple of layers and smoothed out the best I could - no one will see it all the way up on top.

I just returned from a 300 mile trip averaging 60 MPH - checked it today and no cracks or peeling-up.

I think Im on to something here.

Pager

Arkansas