Here is a photo of my transmission temp gauge on my last trip on a 90 degree day. It was taken less than ten miles from home after we had reached the summit here on highway 9. I have seen it higher. Driving in traffic or just on a windy road can also raise it high.

DSCF4414.jpg

• 1 month later...

Time for a trany cooler and maybe put some louvers in the hood to get the heat out. I'd change the trans fluid and fliter as you fliud may be cooked. I've had great sucess in the past with other cars using Energy Release additive to help protect parts, and cut down on friction.

I have a trans cooler. In fact there is also a factory one on the transfer case. I never have engine cooling problems so I don't think loovers would help the transmission temp. The plan is to have the transmission flushed this winter and put in synthetic which will have higher temp abilitys.

• 1 year later...

My choice would be to use the new Synthetic trans flush from BG Chemicals. I have seen 30 degree F drops on the Gm Allison trans using this. It is better to just let somebody do the flush for you. The system flushes from the cooler lines with 16 quarts of synth fluid rated above Dexron 5 standards. To find a shop that does this go to undefined .

Edited by joecruel

• 2 weeks later...

That image was taken after climbing about 1000 feet here on highway 9 to the summit on a hot day. Very twisty turny and on and off the throttle, No over drive used there. What I have found with my overdrive and temps is if I am running hot and I am moving at least 60 plus mph in third gear and I engage OD I can actually watch the temp drop. I can actually watch it fall. The trick is I have to be doing at least 60 plus mph, any slower and there is no effect on the temp. I have no idea why that is but I have used the trick many times to lower temps while on the freeway. I might also note that my transmission has a locking torque converter and I am sure that has a huge effect on the temps dropping when in OD over 60 mph.

Does your auto run the trans lines to the bottom of radiator? Does your cooler have an electric fan on it to cool it down? This is what i would do, run my trans lines to cooler bypass radiator completely. Put a electric fan on cooler or run another cooler inline so you would have 2 coolers. Have been watching those 4 cyl. auto's get rebuilt at costs of $2500 and up!

Have been watching those 4 cyl. auto's get rebuilt at costs of $2500 and up!

YEOUCH

That's a good reason for more cooling. I have not considered a cooling fan on the oil cooler. My lines do run into and out of the radiator but strange as it might seem I never see any temp rise in the radiator water. It never gets hot. I do have another cooler which is mounted on the transmission (oem) but not sure what its cooling. The auxiliary one I have in front of the radiator is really small as I was unable to fit in a larger one due to the A/C coils. When I was shopping for that one I was aware of some frame mounted ones with cooling fans so that may be a future option. I have also considered removing the stock clutch fan and replacing it with an electric one. More so to reduce the fan noise as when the clutch fan engages its really loud. But I am sure that when on windy roads when the rpms and speeds are low it would help with cooling. The hottest temps I see on average are roads where I am on and off the throttle at slow speeds of 50 mph or less. The cause I am sure is because the torque converter never really locks up and the transmission is constantly shifting between 2nd and third. Only a small portion of the oil from the transmission is being pumped through the cooler system.

So here is a question for the experts, does anyone know what the flow rate is through the cooling system? What about increasing that flow rate?

Think about this T Greg, the water/antifreeze radiator temps are up in the 200's! Thats what is trying to cool your trans, friend. When i say an electric fan to cool your external trans cooler.

That's a very good point. My options for locating another cooler especially a fan cooled one i are limited. I have the biggest I can mount on the front of the radiator, certainly no room for a fan there. The only real option would be one of the frame mounted units that have a cooling fan. I have not put my hands on one and one of my concerns would be how protected is it. I drive on dirt roads allot and so rocks and sticks are a concern. Might have to fabricate a shield. Another concern is how well do they really cool as I don't think they are very big. I guess though adding even a small fan cooled unit would be beneficial but would it be enough if the radiator cooler is bypassed.

You are so right about not enough room in front of radiator. I would use a diamond style expanded metal mesh for a shield. I have seen other trans coolers that deleted the radiator setup and they used cooler and temps were 20-30 degrees cooler than yours has been showing. My use was when drag racing Mustang, ran a fan cooled cooler not run to radiator. So much better cool shifting than hot and slushy.