Toilet threaded cap to holding tank

Yostfmx

What do you seal the toilet threaded cap (that you set your toilet on) to the threaded holding tank with? Looks like they just put it on dry... I was thinking of silicone, would that make it too hard to hard to ever get off again? The holding tank on my sunrader is strapped on to the motorhome very crappy with hotwater heater strapping. Is that stock?

My 2 cents...

My toilet was sealed with caulking and it wasn't liquid tight. I'm going to do it right this time (whatever it takes).

I suspect, as with all plumbing, if all new seals are installed and the the outer surface / flange where the "throne" sticks down into the tank is nice and clean, (0000 steel wool ?) it should't leak. All that said, the floor vibrates etc., so make sure the tank is in tight, up against the floor and the seat tight against the flange. As I recall, you removed the shower, so I don't know what the bottom of the throne is sitting on.

Usually, I'm not a fan of silicone for compression fitting in common plumbing, but it takes what it takes. I haven't looked for new seals yet, I'd try an RV supply.

As to the other,

I just removed the tanks (both) on mine and they both had stock straps that were about 1" wide of thin steel strapping with fender washers under the nuts. Definately not plumbing tape. I would think having banding with holes in it wouldn't be a good thing what with undercarriage exposure and all. You probably don't want to do this more than once.

The black water tank is a little bit of a hassle to get out because of the vent pipe though, I had to cut mine about 1/2 way up the wall and I'll splice it.

Hope this helps,

ToyoGuy / Paul

Yea I got a new toilet seal, I'm thinging thats going to seal. I was talking about the threaded cap that goes on to the tank tube. I was told today use a very little bit of silicone on the top of the threads. And yea, showers gone. Going to raise floor to where shower was. Oh and yea venting pipe is cut on mine already, may drop the tank.

Hmmm..... I must have the earlier version, here's mine:

No threads I can find, just this big rubber flange with a "slip-fit". Gotta heat up the top of the tank to straighten it out where it's puckered though.

Oh yeah...

Here's the stock straps for the tank:

TG

Yea droped my tank, that was a pain, all cleaned up and back in now, took day and a half, strapped it with hot water heater/pipe strap. That thing has a crap load of strap under there now, the two original, two making an X across them and two looping around the ends. It not going anywhere now!

Thanks for the pics, looks like the older one you have would leach if you had it full past that pipe.