is the 4 cylinder going to be enough

sayce08

Hi ive just stumbled across this coachmen and I done some extensive reseach and really like every thing I see! what it really come down to is that I'm worried that when fully equiped with water and gas ect. plus 4 or 5 people and luggage is the 4 cylinder engine going to be able to make it across country? for example.. what if i stumble across i dont know... a moutain on my 3500 mile journey. I am gonna make it up and down and still a have a working vehical??

Its a 1986 toyota coachmen moterhome

66,000 miles

good condition

$4,000 <---- is this a good price??

also the water heater is broken and im curious to how much that will cost and if its hard to fix

Thanks for your time!

loooking forward to an adventure... pending your advice!

post-1505-1207624994_thumb.jpg

Hello,

Regarding the water heater, they are pretty easy to take out, normally about a dozen screws

on the outside, and disconnecting the two water lines (usually a screw on fitting) and disconnecting

the gas line (screw on connector), and then just slide it out, they are normally 6 gallon tanks and

usually sealed in card board (has insultation underneath). There is not much to go wrong with the

hot water heater, if the tank is not cracked, then you might just be needing a new jet or regulator.

If the tank is cracked, you need to get a replacement. There are a few RV salavge companies that

can supply you with a used one (big one near Fort Wayne Indiana), and you can alway go new.

Also, you can do pretty well without a hot water heater, just use your stove to heat water up. I

had cracked a hot water line on my Yellowstone trip last year. About the only thing one needs

hot water for is for a shower. For showers, we heated up a pan of water until it just started to boil,

then took a one gallon milk jug and filled it up half way with cold water, then added half a gallon of

the hot water and had about the perfect temperture for a shower, and as amazing as it might sound,

one gallon of water was plenty to shampoo and shower with. Also, do a search on ebay for

"rv water heater", there are a half dozen or so available at $175 plus shipping.

Regaring the 4 cylinder engine, you are going to crawl up some of the mountains out West,

like about 20mph, but as long as you take her easy and watch the temperature gauge, you

should be okay. On steep grades that you will be crawling up, they usually have a slow lane.

If you stick to the Interstates and major state routes in the Mountains, they usually have a

less steep grades.

The price ($4000) sounds pretty good, but you need to be sure on the condition. You need to be

sure it has the one ton rear axle, which will be a 6 bolts on the wheel, and the axle should stick

out about 6 to 8 inches. If the rear wheels are 5 bolts and the axle is pretty much flush with

the rim, you have a 3/4 ton axle that can fail (axle snaps and you literally lose the two tires).

You do not want to travel with the lighter axle, and to upgrade it will cost you in the $1,000 to

$2000+ range, plus the time to track a 1-ton used axle down.

Be sure to check for any water damage around the windows and floor, if you feel a soft spot,

it usually is water damage. Take the Toyota on a test drive at highway speeds (55-60mph)

and be sure you are okay with the performance, and expect some 20mph speed on steep

grades out West.

Dennis...

Looks like a clean rig, but it looks like the last year of the 5 bolt axle. The hubcaps may be there to hide that fact. I would make sure it is the 6 bolt axle, if not it is not worth the $4k to me. If it has the 1 ton axle it looks like a fair deal.

The 4 cyl. will make it up hills, just need to drive smart and get a good run at the hills or the thing will bog, and staying in the far right lane is good advice. They do get blown around by high winds also. Have fun with it!

I agree with the other guys about what to look for especially the 6 lug nut 1 ton rear end. Water heaters are a snap to replace. I replaced mine with an upgrade. My old one was a 3 gallon tank (that's all you need) with manual lighting of the pilot. I upgraded to a 6 gallon with electric ignition for the pilot. Everything fit just like the old one, in and out water lines and the propane line. I had to run a wire to the control panel area for the on/off switch and pick up 12 vdc from my monitor panel and that was just about it. If you replace it with exactly what you have now it is even simplier. My upgrade cost around $400 with me doing the work.

I also have the 4 cylinder with 4 speed and have never had any problems in the mountains with speeds sometimes down to 35 mph, the problem is getting behind trucks in the right hand lane that are slower than you are, but you cannot zip around them so you stay behind them, just relax and watch the bicylists go past.

Once you get your motorhome you'll learn a lot about how to keep it going. I carry 3 things in my MH that are important: a road atlas, a how-to book on fixing everything in the motorhome, and Good Sam's Towing Service membership. You never know. I had to use it when my clutch went out.

Anyway, welcome to the bunch and Happy Motoring.

Allen

I would hold out for a 6cyl. Thats what I have.The 4 is going to have to work harder and thus use more gas.Even the 6 is a little sluggish up hills. Take off 2 cyl. oh boy. forget it.Stick with a 6 cyl. 6 lug.

I’ve driven both, the 6 does have a bit more power but it comes with a bigger price tag neither one of them is going to win a race with any thing other then a fully loaded tractor trailer any way. The 4 cly. Is bullet proof except for timing chains when they have high mileage the 6 has been prone to head gaskets and oil slugging and is a real pain in the behind to work on. If you are looking at any thing older then 89 it will only have the 4 cyl any way. You can expect around 15 mpg with either engine. If you can afford the 6 go for it they are quieter with a noticeable increase in power and of course a newer motor home wrapped around it. I have seen new water heaters for around $230 (6 gal.) and new tanks for about $200 so it’s pretty simple witch one’s the better choice. Pretty much a snap to put in all though some times the water fittings are pretty well buried under a cabinet or some thing.

The head gaskets on the 6 were a recall and done for free,mine was done in 98 and I havent had a problem since.Also use a good oil like castrol stay away from penzoil big time sludge. I remember when I got one of my old trucks,a Dodge quad cab, at the time I had a choice of getting a 318ci. or a 390ci.I got the 318,thought it would get better gas mileage,I was wrong.Shortly after I worked with a guy with the exact same truck just had the bigger eng.He was getting better gas mileage,the bigger eng didnt have to work as hard to push that big truck down the road.thus used less gas and probably lasted longer.Hey anyway you go your going to have a great time with your toy and get way better gas mileage than one of those monsters.And the water heater is a snap,just go ele. no gas.I got my toy for 3,000 its a 92 warrior 6cyl 1 ton less than 75,000 miles everything worked,look around some people are crazy for what they are asking,since I got mine Ive seen about 3 , 90 or newer models for under 3,000.Shop around and have fun.

Edited by TexasToy

Hey Texas Toy I've got to come down to Texas! Man I never seen them that cheap if the air lines could get me there (some doubt about that right now) I would bring one back! Wow no rust either some times living in New England sucks just today got mine out of the snow.

Yea man I know, The last 1 I found was sold for $1,600 running, outside of houston at a garage/repair shop.Looked good,It was a 91 dolphin had the normal problems with those types you know roof leaks,but nothing that couldnt be fixed with a little caulking.I think the longer time goes by you will see more & more sold for cheap because some people do not take care of them.There is a blue book on our RV and they are around 6 to 8 grand, but have to be in great shape.

Hey thanks, I bought it today! pretty pumped about it haha

On the test Drive I brought 5 people in it and took it up the high way. A belt was squeeling but thats it I think it was an ac belt but im planning on doing a big tune up before i take it cross country (belts, plugs & wires, air filter and maybe clean out some of the gunk in the engine if i get ambitious) We hit some hills and it seem to be rev'ing a little high but shot right up non the less OD helped alot. The temp didnt get hot at all and the engine sounded pretty solid. As far as rust goes I do live in new england and the bottom does seem a little rusty but nothing on the end of rot. My test was that all the exposed nuts and screws seemed pretty in tacked and prolly easily taken off. I dont see any water damage at all, so i dont know if that means im not looking in the right place or that it really is in good shape. Theres alot of caulk kinda slopped on all over especially on the loft bed that hangs over the cab. I ripped all the cushions off and the rug and walls seemed dry!!! However, when you sit behind the wheel the top is sagging a little in the middle. I dont know if this should concern me??? is this common?? I looks like its been repaired and pretty water tight but i dont even know what the frame is made out of. Is it somthing that I could take apart and rebuild?? Im assuming or more less hoping haha that the frame is metal so I dont know if I could possibly cut away the "bent" frame and weld in a new pipe or somthing of that nature? Im not afraid of the work and actually looking forward to the summer fix her up project I got myself into!

Thanks for reading all this and I hope I can soon answer someone else's questions but for now ill prolly do more harm then good

Erik

The 1st thing you should do is get yourself a good quality RV cover such as an ADCO and keep it covered when not in use or find or build yourself a place to park it out of the weather when not using it (tub frame carports are not that expensive). Rain and show are your worst enemy as water will pool on the roof and seep in via all the holes (roof vents, waste stacks, and side seams) if it is not driven.

I finally went the distance and built a garage just to store mine in.

http://www.toymike.com/toyhouse/DONE.jpg