replacing roof AC with solar oven.

We recently purchased a 1984 dolphin. It has a roof AC that seams like its heavy and pretty worthless too me since you apparently have to have it conected to a hookup for it too have enough power to run. Iv been living out of a sunrader now a dolphin for 2 years and have only hooked up to someones power once or twice.

So I really dont see myself useing the AC ever.

and the smae goes for the oven. Im going to be doing most of my cooking from a Wok and only need one burner on the stove for that. And the Oven is nice but I will only very rarely use it.

so I thought maybe Ill take out the roof AC. And put in a custom solar oven with the reflectors on the roof where the AC was and a attachable box for the interior we can place our food in too cook.

Does anyone know if the roof AC's are easy too take out? or what size the hole left would be?

~~`Gypsy wind Traveler

~Eli

also was wondering if anyone had any helpful tips on where to go for information on how to build solar ovens and the such, finding only limted information in my searches.

Edited by GypsyWindTraveler

The A/C comes off easy, remove the inside plastic ceiling plate a there should be 4 bolts holding it on remove the bolts and get some muscle on the roof and pull it off.

If you cant make a solar oven work up there, get a Fantastic powered vent. They run on 12v, move a lot of air and make sleeping a bunch better in warm places.

Removing the oven and stove top is easy too.. You can get a 3 buner stove top if you cant carpenter up a nice suround for a two buner top. I made a storage place under the stove top when I removed my oven, a wok fits nicely there.

And I thought I was off the wall with some of my stuff I wanted to do to mine (fire place, decking on the roof, ext...). That would be sweet if you could get it to work. But would you cook from the top down? that would be different...

So thats the 26x17 vent your talking about.

You can buy a one burner that screws on to one of thoses little green propane bottles for portable camping/cooking, very cool looking, I just found out about them. You could take out the stove, box in with ply wood and cut hole in the top and just drop it in, and have more storage.

If you make it up here we have a winch to take off the AC

Heres a link too the 1 burner:

http://www.etailelectronics.com/Merchant2/...tore_Code=etail