I bought this RV 3 years ago and have driven it 20K miles and now just realized that it probably has the original tires on it! Tread is good, but some of them look a little cracking on the sidewalls and I am paranoid. Do I need new ones? What kind? The ones on it are 185R14 Light Truck. I also need to be able to check pressure on the inside dual rear tires. Can I get valve extenders?

Hello,

I think a little cracking on the sidewall is okay (someone correct me if I wrong), but if you

have any cracking between the grooves in the Tread, then it is time to replace them.

There seems to be a 50/50 split on what kind of tires to get, I would stick with the original

size/type, the 185R14 Light Truck, but instead of going with the Load C range, go with the

Load D range, the Ds will handle a few hundred pounds more weight per tire.

I would purchase the tires from a national tire company, so if you have problems with the

while traveling, you have a chance to get them serviced for free (tire repairs), or can get

a replacement tire for free or at a reduced warranty cost.

Be careful on the valve extenders, do not get rubber ones, they can get damaged causing

more problems. If you get a truckers air gauge, you should be able to use it to check your

duelly tires without have valve extenders. Walmart sells a trucker air gauge for about $6,

and any truck stop will have a selection of them.

I ended up going with Goodyear, but I think Michleens (sp) carry the size size.

Dennis...

• 3 weeks later...

I recently bought 6 new tires for my 92 warrior,the original were 185R14-LT6 RIM size 14.0X5.00 at 50psi for all 6.The new are the same size,just 8 ply instead of 6.All six tires mounted, balanced, old tire disposal,and road hazard at sears for 474.33 out the door.Tire part #09552214.

Tires have a life span of around 8 years according to several shops I stopped at when I had the same questions. My tires were 8, 9 and 10 yrs old and cracking. There is a code on the sidewall that gives the dates. I have no idea how to read it. You might need to stop at a shop and ask them to check the age of the tires. Considering the weight we carry and that I run my rears at 50 pounds each I prefer no cracks.

• 2 weeks later...