During yesterdays warm spell, I worked outside the ToyHouse.

While poking around under the hood, I did notice a small radiator on the right side just behind the grill. It an aftermarket Transmission cooler, plumbed in series with the coolant heat exchanger.:ThumbUp:

The cooler is about 6x6 inches and sits in front of the air Conditioner radiator.

One less thing to worry about!

JOhn Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

While poking around under the hood, I did notice a small radiator on the right side just behind the grill. It an aftermarket Transmission cooler, plumbed in series with the coolant heat exchanger.

The cooler is about 6x6 inches and sits in front of the air Conditioner radiator.

One less thing to worry about!

JOhn Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

I believe that at least the 87 and 88 chassis came with those two coolers. I added a

Kim

I often wondered about this, so here goes! (I think I'm answering my own question as I think this through, so bear with me)

Is it possible that the trans cooler in the radiator (liquid to liquid) could be adding heat to the trans fluid, i.e. the coolant radiator is heating up the trans liquid!

Hot engine coolant enters the top of the radiator and is cooled as it flows down. The trans liquid-liquid exchanger is located at the bottom of the radiator, so its probably significantly cooler than the engine 190 deg F.

That would be the question, What are the temperatures of the coolant at the top (enter) and bottom (exit) of the radiator.

So, back to the original question; A very hot radiator is actually adding heat to the trans) At this point, I think the answer is generally, No. But I think its also important to make sure the aftermarket cooler is downstream of the liquid-liquid cooler, i.e. the Aftermarket cooler should be after the radiator, to provide additional cooling after the fluid leaves the coolant radiator.

Does this sound reasonable?????

(When I pull the trans pan to change the filter, I'll pop one of the cooler hoses and see what way the fluid is flowing, and make sure its plumbed in this manner)

FOLLOWUP QUESTION - Is there such a thing as the trans fluid be to cold???

JOhn Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

Edited by waiter

Does this sound reasonable?????

FOLLOWUP QUESTION - Is there such a thing as the trans fluid be to cold???

JOhn Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

If you have the toyota cooler in the link I provided then it is inline after the radiator cooler.

I plumbed mine from tranny to radiator to B&M cooler to extra but stock Toyota cooler and back to transmission. When researching I found exactly what you said and there were some who for cars other than the RVS said to go through radiator last. I live in San Francisco so I am not worried about it being too cold but there are thermostats if you need one. I used one of those infrared thermometers and the change going into the first of the two extra coolers and out to tranny was about 25 degrees as I recall. I used the B&M cause it fit better and removed more heat. Kim

I believe that at least the 87 and 88 chassis came with those two coolers. I added a

Kim

Do you know if the V-6 engines with Auto have the 6x6 inch transmission coolers? I noticed on the U-tube video that the cooler on the passenger side had "toyota" stamped in white, suggesting (to me) that it was a stock item. I wondered, when you stated that '87 and '88 chassis' came with them, if the cooler was specifically for the 22re (4 cylinder) engine. I have a V-6, and I assumed that a cooler would be strapped to the side of the radiator (like the Mercedes-Benz's of the '70s and '80s) rather than on the front. I've not had the grill of my Toyota off (yet), so I just thought I didn't have one. To tell you the truth, if my rig wasn't winterized and tucked away for the season (Northeast Ohio's weather to date is not suited for knuckle-busting), I'd do some exploring. If anyone knows if these coolers were stock or special order when the vehicle was originally purchased, I'd be curious to know... thanks.

mike

I can see mine from the outside with the hood down (now that I know what I'm looking at). A flashlight will help, Look in the upper left corner of the grill just above the "T in Toyota

John Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

I can see mine from the outside with the hood down (now that I know what I'm looking at). A flashlight will help, Look in the upper left corner of the grill just above the "T in Toyota

John Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

The grilles come off fairly easily but you might want to buy replacement clips. If you have your VIN you can go here and insert the vin and look to see what parts your chassis came with. Mine showed the extra cooler but I have a 22re. Kim

The return cooler line just dumps back into the trans pan it's in the rear and the supply line is up higher in the front of the trans case. I don't think a working trans being too cold will ever be an issue no matter how big the cooler. Transmission fluid is basically 5W hydraulic oil with a red die so it’s thin stuff flows pretty easy even at -30. What ever you do playing with the lines don't block the supply line because very quickly the pressure will climb to around 150 psi its meant to be free flowing with very little restriction just an open ended loop.

Looks like I'll go ahead and add another cooler.

Probably not Football field size, but large.:D I think its a very economical way of getting more miles out of the Tranny.

I'll try and get some temperature data before/after the addition.

Thanks

John Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

Red Green, My Hero:ThumbUp::ThumbUp::ThumbUp::ThumbUp:

(For those who don't know who Red Green is, google, or check your PBS station. Make sure you use the restroom before watching as you'll laugh so hard, you may have an accident.)

John Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

Just ordered a Transmission Cooler from e-bay ($50 with shipping)

Hayden HC1405

26,000 lbs GVW

10 x 15 1/2 x 3/4

with mounting kit

I'll put it on this weekend while I'm changing the trans fluid.

John Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

post-4544-088761400 1294230580_thumb.jpg