3-way refrigerator not running on 12v

Guajiro

Was fine up until a few weeks ago. I checked fuses but they all seemed fine. Works great on propane and shore power but can't figure out why not on 12v. Should I be looking for a loose wire?

Almost forgot, 88 Sunrader shorty.

I don't know what model refrigerator you have.  Some Dometics have a fuse hidden in back for just the electric operation.  Main things is - there has to be power to make the electric heater work.  Usually NOT from the converter but directly from the battery.  If there is power at the heater and it does not get hot - then the heater element is bad.  Some have two separate elements - one for AC and one for DC.  Some others have just one combo element for both.

Great info! Now I think I know what may be the problem. First off, the cooling unit is new and as far as I can tell it doubles for 12v and 110. It is a Dometic.

Second, when it did work on 12v, I was able to notice the drop in available power on the monitoring display (above the stove on my Sunrader). Currently there is no change in the display when I turn the refrigerator to 12v so I am certain it is not getting power.

Third, I had a car stereo  shop recently switch the power source for my dash stereo from my ignition battery to my coach battery. Since the refrigerator power comes directly from the coach battery, something may have been dissconected in the process. The two events do coincide timewise.

Thanks jdemaris for the info. That's why I love it here. 1 reply and I should be  squared away!

• 3 months later...

There should be a terminal block at the fridge (behind the cover) it should have a red wire and and a black between the two you should have 12 volts. But all that means is there is power to the fridge beyond that the mode switch or heater element. The 12 volt heater is a power hog and should only be used on the road with the truck running.