seeking awning input

anyone had any experience with the ARB or any of the lightweight offroad-ish awnings (rhinorack, smittybuilt, etc)?  don't want to add the weight of a big Carefree etc unit and not sure I could make it work with the Bandit anyway.  I have the Dometic 8 or 9' roll-up and am not too impressed with it...too hard to deploy and even worse to stow, and I don't think i'd feel comfortable leaving it attached while traveling....the attachment of the plastic "spline" that fits into the groove on the awning rail seems pretty flimsy.

tanks in advanz......

The plastic spline is strong enough. You can also buy replacement spline material from Sailrite that can be sewn in. It is called Keder rope.

It is very instructive to watch some of the well done videos from Sailrite that show how to DIY all kinds of awning projects. They have a youtube channel full of project instructions including how to make cushions. But here is the video that shows how to sewn in some of the Keder products.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zhJ5SB_4m3g

Edited by snail powered