Best Sealant For Toyota

SCRIPAL

In addition to my 89 Dolphin, I own two other Toyotas, an 89 Camry LX and a 2006 Avalon. The Camry has been a problematic car as it had been stored for 3+ years (unbeknown to me) in a garage in Phoenix. As a result, almost every seal in the 4 cyl. vehicle had deterioated causing oil/fluid leaks. I could not get a proper seal in the oil and water pump area after replacement of both. Unlike many cars, this engine has an external oil pump which receives a lot of pressure plus the hot oil that prevented the original sealant applied from proper bonding, thus leakage. My neighbor worked for Toyota many years and when discussing this problem with him, said there is only one sealant that he would recommend, FIPG which stands for fitted in place gasket. It is Toyota proprietary and you will not find it at your local parts store. I purchased mine on Ebay for $10. This stuff works! but you must follow the dirctions to the letter. Clean surface, 2mm bead, secure within 5 minutes, and let cure for 12 hours, or faulty bonding. Try not to get this stuff on your skin as it is difficult to remove. Lastly, in his 20 years of service with Toyota, he had never had one returned when this sealant was used and that Honda, his next door competitor, often purchased it from him to use on their vehicles.

Unlike many cars, this engine has an external oil pump which receives a lot of pressure plus the hot oil that prevented the original sealant applied from proper bonding, thus leakage. My neighbor worked for Toyota many years and when discussing this problem with him, said there is only one sealant that he would recommend, FIPG which stands for fitted in place gasket. .

"FIPG" stands for "formed in place gasket.: Red RTV works fine for the situations you describe and is available at any auto parts store. "RTV" stands for "room temperature vulcanizing" so as the name implies - area and parts can't be freezing cold when applied and needs 12 hours to cure also when not freezing cold. I was a field mechanic for John Deere for many years. Had to work outdoors, often in the woods, and remove many high stress parts that were dripping oil. Key is to wait until they stop dripping. Wipe clean, then use the RTV. Can't say we EVER had a leak problem afterwards. Note any "form in place" gasket material comes in two basic versions. One that sets as a pliable material, and one that sets rock-hard. For situations where NO flexing is allowed or with extreme high pressure and the gasket must be rock-hard - something like Loctite Plastic gasket is used, along with a primer. I just fixed a hydraulic pump that runs 4000 PSI that uses it for assembly. An engine oil pump that runs maybe 80 PSI max is not high pressure.

By the way, I am not bad-mouthing sealants sold by Toyota. Just making the point that there are common generic sealants not only just as good - some are exactly the same. Just not stuck in a Toyota box. Toyota FIPG 103 sealant is made by Three Bond and sold under the Three Bond 1207B part #. Permatex Ultra-Black RTV is pretty much exactly the same thing.

Like many car and tractor companies - Toyota reboxes a lot of stuff. As far as I know - here are some that Toyota has put their # on.

Toyota FIPG 103 - is actually Three Bond 1207B RTV silicone.

Toyota FIPG 102 - is actually Permatex Ultra-Grey RTV silicone

Toyota Seal-Packing FIPG - is actually Loctite # 5699 RTV silicone

Yamaha also rebadges the 1207 3Bond

Yes, FIPG does stands for "formed in place gasket" rather than fitted. It was early and I hadn't enough coffee. I believe Toyota also sell a sealant used mainly for water environment such as sealing a thermostat housing? The sealant I used formed a hard seal.