Tires for 89/90 Dolphin

MR.D

Any recommendations? I want to replace all 6 tires, the Toy is a Dolphin '90 model but on an '89 Toyota, built by Toyota in 3/89, and National RV in 6/89, if that matters. It currently has Bridgestone RD-603 Steel tires, size 185R14. That's also the size specified on the plate behind the driver's seat. wheels are 14x5J. I'll likely move the best of the seven back to the spare and buy 6 for the ground. I'm looking for a bargain, but also safe tires for the family, safety over frugality ;)

I am currently running these Tires, Michelin LTX M/S Radials - Tire size: LT 215/75 R15, Tire Load capacity: (Single 1765LBS @ 50psi cold - Dual 1610 @ 50 psi cold). My rig though is a 4x4 18 footer and allot lighter than your rig. They came on the rig when I bought her and as of now I have no complaints other than looks. Something a bit more aggressive looking on a 4x4 is allways better looking. I'm a Perrili, Good Year and Michelin fan with good year my prefference for trucks.

My opinion is buy what you can aford that you trust and enough plys to carry the weight safely. All the posts I have read about tire pressure tells me that the 14 inchers need to run more pressure, in the 60 - 65 pound zone. I am far from an expert. I think I would visit a truck tire shop and tell them what you got how much it weighs and see what they say.

To be safe I should weigh the rear wheels and see what they are actually carrying. Right now I have a tire carry weight of 6440 pounds, I might actually need more and not know it. When I say weigh I mean each set with a scale under each set not on a truck scale. A truck scale is fine for overall weight but it does not tell you whats sitting on the rear tires.

That's a good idea Greg, I need to get the rig weighed, although I'm almost afraid to find out :blink: I read the date codes on my tires this morning and 5 of the tires were made back in '94, the other 2 were made in '00. I'll likely keep the two newer ones and buy 6 new ones for the ground.

I'm planning on buying 6 new matching tires, are you saying that I should measure the diameter of the 6 new tires?

Thats a negative. What I meant is, if you plan to mix old with new on the rear. I should have made that more clear. On the duals imagine if you put a new tire, a different brand next to an old tire. Just seems to me that the difference in diameter between an old and new tire could be considerable and could cause one tire to carry more weight. Maybe I am wrong, seems possible though. I suppose one way is to inflate both old and new to the same pressure, stand them side by side and see if they are the sane height. Might be something to consider if you plan to run the spare on the rear in case of a flat. I am still looking for a rim for my rig. I only have a spare for the front.

Greg

I understand, my rig has 7 identical rims, so the spare will fit front or rear without a problem. The two newer tires I plan to keep look nearly new and aren't cracking at all, so I'm pretty confident that they'll make an excellent spare, and spare spare :D

I understand, my rig has 7 identical rims, so the spare will fit front or rear without a problem. The two newer tires I plan to keep look nearly new and aren't cracking at all, so I'm pretty confident that they'll make an excellent spare, and spare spare :D

Wish mine were all the same. I think in 87 and newer all the rigs have the 1 ton front end so all the rims are the same. My 86 4x4 even though both rear and front are 6 lug the front are different rims. Mine has a factory rear axle upgrade to the full floating. I'm not even sure if mine front or rear are split rims. Are yours split rims? That would be great to be able to fix a flat out in the middle of no-where.

Greg

I have no idea, what are split rims?

A split rim is a two piece rim. On one side of the rim there is a ring that can be pryed off allowing the tire to easily slip off the rim. Big trucks have these. Guess I better go out and look at mine.

Hey Greg, Was just curious with the 1ton axle upgrade on your 4x4 Sunrader, does it use 15" rear wheels with the large (budd style) 6 lug bolt patern the same as the 2wd version? I have seen a several of the 4x4 Sunraders and all I seen used the stock 15" wheel with the adapter to run the extra dual wheel on the rear.

Big Memorial weekend coming up, any plans for getting away?

Its a 6 lug but no adapter. 15 inch wheels real duallys. Toyota can not find a listing for them.

We are staying home Memorial day weekend. My wife has some major tests in school and will need study time.

Were going up near Point Reys in a couple of weeks. Sometime after that up to the Sierras for our mountain fix!

Greg

Any opinions on the Yokohama Y356s? Costco doesn't carry tires suited for our rigs, except some Michelins that are only load range C, I really want D range like our rig currently has. My local Discount Tire only carries these Yokohamas, the sales guy claimed they were carried specifically for the Toyota based RVs. They run $89 each, so 6 out the door would be $591. Seems reasonable, but I don't know anything about these tires???

I noticed TireRacks sells the same Yokohamas for only $60 and has a local installer who'd mount them for $11 each. I've e-mailed Discount and asked them to match the $71 installed price so we'll see what they say...

I hear you, my wife's Mercedes needs new tires as well, but now that summer's upon us I'll likely put that off for a few months. It's not like her tires are bald ;) The RV's 10 year old weather cracked babies need to be replaced now!

[ I'm not even sure if mine front or rear are split rims. Are yours split rims? That would be great to be able to fix a flat out in the middle of no-where.

Greg

None of you have split rims, they are not legal in calif. What they are is one side of the wheel assembly was removable to allow the hevy truck tires to be mounted. The air pressiur when inflated held this rim peice on. The problem was that if you did not know how to change then it was possible for it to fly off and injure the tire changer.

As to what your rims are I beleive they were made by Jackman in El Cajon Calif. (Orphan). They produced off road wheels for that market until the mid 90's Many Calif dealers included them as an option, and they have a OEM part #.

Check out this site

http://www.getcrashparts.com/parts.asp?sku...els&diameter=15

There is a possibility that the 6 lug Chevy jackman rims will also fit.

• 2 weeks later...