THINKING ABOUT PAINTING MY RV

SCRIPAL

First of all, thanks to all who have responded to this Newbies questions and I have learned so much from reading all the posts. My Toyota is a 1989 Dolphin and the fiberglass covering is what I would describe as a dingy yellowish color. Was the original color white, off white, or? This spring I plan on painting it myself and would welcome responses to what type of paint I should use.

I know this is going to sound crazy and I would have never believed it either had I not seen it for my self. Zep floor wax yep it works the motor home in question is one that I owned the new owner used 8 coats of Zep floor wax on the fiberglass and I would have sworn it had been painted! I tried buffing with various compounds and it never was shiny but it is now! Here is just but one site with fiberglass camper and floor wax.http://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/zep-floor-wax-95370.html

My Escaper was looking pretty dingy until I used my pressure washer on it. I could not believe the difference. It was really yellow but now it looks great. I will be waxing it when it comes out of storage in March.

I painted mine as well.....

The owner before roll painted it and it was not a very good job and painted over the trims. It looks fine from a far but it leaves weird textures on the body. I had to spend a lot of time prepping her for the new coat....

All together it'll cost about 300-500 dollars to do it... that's with prep material. I just used single coat car enamel paint from the store... and you need to get the catalyst and hardener...

Definitely recommend doing it during mild weather...

post-7373-0-54585700-1383629464_thumb.jp

That is one sweet looking Escaper. I looks like the same model that we have. I am thinking about adding an awning but the beautiful woman that I married says that we are not parked anywhere long enough to enjoy it. Mine did not come with the Escaper wheel cover but I would like to get one like it.

luckily, I found the awning at a scrap yard on an old dolphin. The dolphin was all beat up but the awning was perfect and I got it for $200, which I think is a steal. It adds a good porch feeling to the rig.

• 4 months later...

I have purchased the ZEP wax and I am going to give it a go. Hope it turns out as well as others say it will.

I have never done it only saw the results and was amazed so I don't know how one even applies it buffer maybe?, Take pictures!

• 1 month later...

telluride ..... your paint job is awesome ... did u do it yourself ?

I am seriously considering plastic-dip in white, no risk and super easy to apply.

Been thinking along the same lines. Zero risk, though I question the durability. I'm guessing maybe a few years at the most. On the upside, and assuming the color doesn't change, touch-ups would be pretty easy!

I put Plastic-dip on my Subaru front grill and it has held up for almost two years now. The only issues I see is I doubt you could apply graphics or vinyl to the pasti-dip, so it would be one solid color.