Sunrader Camper Collides with Locked FZJ80 Land Cruiser

Mikesta

Hope its ok to post this here just because It is a Sunrader camper, not really a MotorHome. I've always wanted one of these and picked it up last night here locally.

It was dropped on its side when jacking up at one point and one of the windows is broken out... so it needs some work in the rear quarter.

I'm now searching for a Donor FZJ80 or LX450 that has been flipped or doesn't run so I can mate this up.

Its very early in the game. In the background you will see some of my Land Cruisers and a 25,000 mile Sunrader that I will be selling in a month or so.

The last picture is a picture of the vehicle that I'll build the camper on.

post-499-0-90509900-1362500256_thumb.jpg

post-499-0-00859800-1362500286_thumb.jpg

post-499-0-70219800-1362500352_thumb.jpg

post-499-0-89897600-1362500458_thumb.jpg

post-499-0-45695300-1362500491_thumb.jpg

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So your going to chop one of those beautiful vehicles up to put that camper on it? I like Sunrader campers too but I'm speachless. Is that camper the full sized one or for a mini truck. Looks like the big one.

Linda S

Yes, that's my thinking. It would be much easier to find a 4x4 Truck and roll with it... but I love the 80 series Land cruiser and would really like to have somewhat of an expedition vehicle. This is my thinking today, it could change and usually does. I'll try to dl photochop and see what it looks like.

That's a nice truck camper. I'd stick it on a 1st generation full-size Dodge diesel truck and be plenty happy. 16-17 MPG and heavier running gear and bigger brakes then any Land Cruiser has.

If you like expedition rigs - have you ever followed the Turtle expediton Website? It was pretty neat when it started but eventually, big money got involved. I followed it for years and was kind of fascinated seeing what broke and what the fixes were. The first Turtle was based on a 1967 Land Rover. Years later when big money came from Ford et. al. they had an RV on a Ford F550.

http://turtleexpedition.com/vehicles/vehicles-2/

Google Sonke's popup project. He took an old FJ45 and put it on an 80 series wagon (for the modern drive train + extra width). It's pretty cool and you've prob already stumbled on it. I'm out the door otherwise would put up link. One of the nicest toyota campers ever built.

@ those slide-in campers.

Their roofline looks a little different (missing the extended upper part?) and so wonder if they are even shorter inside? Also they are meant to be used with a "truck bed" meaning the interior has to make amends for the truck bed w/ bench seating etc. Also no side door. They're cool if you're just looking for a camper to slip on a truck, but if you're going to that much work, something more permanent like a regular sunrader shell would seem to offer more options? Are you mating this permanently or keeping the slide-in theme?

I have also thought of this combo. I think Bajadulce showed just how much work it takes to build a mini truck before he moved to the larger T100. I think that the jump to the Landcruiser is kinda like leap frog. Does the series your using have a Free floating axle ? What is the GVW of the 80 series axle ?

I am interested to know more about the brackets that hold the rear camper door open. Are they gas struts or some other type of telescoping arms? Thanks. Sue

93 thru 97 80 series has a full floater axle.

I have also thought of this combo. I think Bajadulce showed just how much work it takes to build a mini truck before he moved to the larger T100. I think that the jump to the Landcruiser is kinda like leap frog. Does the series your using have a Free floating axle ? What is the GVW of the 80 series axle ?

I am interested to know more about the brackets that hold the rear camper door open. Are they gas struts or some other type of telescoping arms? Thanks. Sue

Took that video to show you those Sue... do you have the same model

That's a nice truck camper. I'd stick it on a 1st generation full-size Dodge diesel truck and be plenty happy. 16-17 MPG and heavier running gear and bigger brakes then any Land Cruiser has.

If you like expedition rigs - have you ever followed the Turtle expediton Website? It was pretty neat when it started but eventually, big money got involved. I followed it for years and was kind of fascinated seeing what broke and what the fixes were. The first Turtle was based on a 1967 Land Rover. Years later when big money came from Ford et. al. they had an RV on a Ford F550.

http://turtleexpedition.com/vehicles/vehicles-2/

I hear you, love the cummins engine, have a 6.9 in my big rv. The land cruiser will still get 13-15 on a good day. You'd be surprised how tough the Land cruiser axle is... but good food for thought. I'll check out that link thanks!

Google Sonke's popup project. He took an old FJ45 and put it on an 80 series wagon (for the modern drive train + extra width). It's pretty cool and you've prob already stumbled on it. I'm out the door otherwise would put up link. One of the nicest toyota campers ever built.

@ those slide-in campers.

Their roofline looks a little different (missing the extended upper part?) and so wonder if they are even shorter inside? Also they are meant to be used with a "truck bed" meaning the interior has to make amends for the truck bed w/ bench seating etc. Also no side door. They're cool if you're just looking for a camper to slip on a truck, but if you're going to that much work, something more permanent like a regular sunrader shell would seem to offer more options? Are you mating this permanently or keeping the slide-in theme?

Wagoneer did that too.... I'll google it maybe its him. I think its the same as the 180 series Camper... its about the same size, they might have used the same mold for the top as I look closer (I've had 3 180's).

Nice fj40 in the background! That's always been my dream vehicle...not so practical, though. But then I guess dream vehicles rarely are...

Thanks, that's my sons... we are going to build it up for the next 9 years till he is old enough to drive it. Next to it is a FJ60 and next to that a FJ55... out back I have a 62 and a 60 that I'll be selling this summer... both just got new engines.

I hear you, love the cummins engine, have a 6.9 in my big rv. The land cruiser will still get 13-15 on a good day. You'd be surprised how tough the Land cruiser axle is... but good food for thought. I'll check out that link thanks!

I still have my first Ford-International Harvester diesel. 6.9 in an 85 F250 extended-cab, 4WD and 8' bed. Mated to a C6 auto trans. No overdrive and 4.10 axles. Engine has been bullet proof but has always been a fuel hog. 13 MPG is the best it has ever gotten. 6.9s and 7.3s were built from gas engine platforms and worked out very well. To IH's credit thought - they chose a HD 446 cubic inch school bus gas engine as the diesel platform. A much more rugged engine then the 6.2 and 6.5s Detroit-Diesel invented for GM. My 94 F250 with a turbo IDI 7.3, 4.10 axle and E40D (overdrive) has gotten 15 MPG in NY and gets 17 MPG in northern Michigan. Flat land and low altitude helps a lot. My 12 valve 5.9 turbo intercooled Cummins beats them all though - in towing power and fuel mileage.

I still have my first Ford-International Harvester diesel. 6.9 in an 85 F250 extended-cab, 4WD and 8' bed. Mated to a C6 auto trans. No overdrive and 4.10 axles. Engine has been bullet proof but has always been a fuel hog. 13 MPG is the best it has ever gotten. 6.9s and 7.3s were built from gas engine platforms and worked out very well. To IH's credit thought - they chose a HD 446 cubic inch school bus gas engine as the diesel platform. A much more rugged engine then the 6.2 and 6.5s Detroit-Diesel invented for GM. My 94 F250 with a turbo IDI 7.3, 4.10 axle and E40D (overdrive) has gotten 15 MPG in NY and gets 17 MPG in northern Michigan. Flat land and low altitude helps a lot. My 12 valve 5.9 turbo intercooled Cummins beats them all though - in towing power and fuel mileage.

sorry, I misspoke, its a 6.7 Cummins and I love it!

Little update... spent 2 hours on it after work. Gutting it to see what I have to work with. Might have it cleaned up and split by this weekend...

Probably a good thing I tore this out... the taco seasoning was about 10 years past the pull date. I have no clue what I was drinking (or smoking... it is WA state) in the video. I don't think my words came out right.

http://youtu.be/LsA28Sm5CfU

post-499-0-63501200-1362545746_thumb.jpg

post-499-0-80385400-1362545804_thumb.jpg

post-499-0-74743700-1362545829_thumb.jpg

post-499-0-59973400-1362545849_thumb.jpg

post-499-0-28786100-1362545871_thumb.jpg

post-499-0-62229900-1362545902_thumb.jpg

Thanks so much for the video! Very nice... I like your camper.

I attached some picture. The rear hatch door is solid without the extra door. The window is supposed to be an egress window, but it has long been sealed.

Originally, the door was held up by a 7' pole placed on the ground and centered on the bottom edge of the door. The weight of the door (approximately 35-40 pounds) held the pole in place as long as you did not bump it. The previous owner added a modification to hold the door open. The brace, an aluminum tube, is attached to the inside of the door by a swivel. The other end of the aluminum tube has a rubber table leg end (or cane end) and fits into a u-shaped holder on the exterior of the Adventure. The swivel allows the brace to swing around and clip into a bracket on the inside of the door when the door is closed. (There is a similar brace for the passenger side, but it is off right now.)

I have looked into replacing the current set-up with gas struts to make it easier to use. There is not a good place to attach the strut to the inside wall of the rig without extensive bracing. And the strut needs to be quite long to work well.

There are pictures on the Toyota Camper site of showing the addition of struts to a hatch-back Toyota Motorhome. He put two struts together end to end. After looking at struts and thinking about sizes and installation, I did not think that it would work for me. You may be able to add struts on yours because all the brackets that hold the braces are inside the motorhome. Sue

post-4493-0-44673900-1362544978_thumb.jp

post-4493-0-01809000-1362545040_thumb.jp

post-4493-0-52942900-1362545074_thumb.jp

post-4493-0-21827100-1362545116_thumb.jp

post-4493-0-86883000-1362545165_thumb.jp

Hope its ok to post this here just because It is a Sunrader camper,

How much does that camper weigh? I assume there's a weight sticker on it. I used to have an 11 1/2 foot Lance that weighed 4700 lbs. Some truck campers are amazingly heavy. I also had a Palimino pop-up that was only 9 1/2 feet long and weighed 2500 lbs. I went and looked at a Travel-Lite for sale. A 10 footer model 1000 and it weighed 4300 lbs. ! I think the name "Travel-Lite" is a bit deceiving.

I find it difficult to find slide-on campers under a ton. My 11 foot Coachmen slide-on camper weighs 1600 lbs. empty. My lightest is my 8 foot Jayco Sportster with pop-up roof and that weighs 1300 lbs.

I was told that 4 guys picked this sucker up and carried it... I don't know if I should believe him though. With all the wet wood in it, it is definitely heavy. It probably weighs at least 1000lbs... tell you what, I'll take it to the scale (right down the street) before I empty it and get a weight.... then I'll take it to the scale when I just have just the shell and weigh it.

Fridge - 70lbs - stove - 70lbs - converter - 30 lbs - cabinetry - 200lbs... It adds up quick.

How much does that camper weigh? I assume there's a weight sticker on it. I used to have an 11 1/2 foot Lance that weighed 4700 lbs. Some truck campers are amazingly heavy. I also had a Palimino pop-up that was only 9 1/2 feet long and weighed 2500 lbs. I went and looked at a Travel-Lite for sale. A 10 footer model 1000 and it weighed 4300 lbs. ! I think the name "Travel-Lite" is a bit deceiving.

I find it difficult to find slide-on campers under a ton. My 11 foot Coachmen slide-on camper weighs 1600 lbs. empty. My lightest is my 8 foot Jayco Sportster with pop-up roof and that weighs 1300 lbs.

It had a stove with oven? The campers made for the Toyota's only had a cook top and tiny fridge. Both of them together only weighed about 40lbs or less. How wide is this thing between the wheel wells? They made these in Toyota size and full size. Makes a big difference in the weight.

Linda S

Yea, it had an oven. It was on a toyota dually at one point with a 8' bed. I can get the pictures if I contact the seller, he had pictures of it. I guestimated the weight. I'll get more pictures this week.. but you can see the oven in the video too.

I was told that 4 guys picked this sucker up and carried it... I don't know if I should believe him though. With all the wet wood in it, it is definitely heavy. It probably weighs at least 1000lbs... tell you what, I'll take it to the scale (right down the street) before I empty it and get a weight.... then I'll take it to the scale when I just have just the shell and weigh it.

Fridge - 70lbs - stove - 70lbs - converter - 30 lbs - cabinetry - 200lbs... It adds up quick.

I'm going to assume it has to weigh at least 1200 lbs. dry and empty. My little 8 foot Jayco Sportster pop-up weighs that much. Some of the fancy 11 foot slide-on campers like Lance or Alaskan weigh well over 4000 lbs.

I just opened up my Coachmen truck-camper owner's manual. Here are the specs they give for weights with no cargo but full water and LP tanks.

8 foot Cadet - 1,785 lbs. with 19 gals. water, 20 lbs. gas, 75 lbs. ice

9 1/2 foot Cadet - 2,028 lbs. with 19 gals. water, 20 lbs. gas, 75 lbs. ice

10 foot Cadet - 2,470 lbs.with 19 gals. water, 20 lbs. gas, 75 lbs. ice

9 1/2 foot Knight - 2,386 lbs. with 28 gals. water, 20 lbs. gas, 4 CF refrige

10 1/2 foot Kingsman 2,510 lbs.with 28 gals. water, 20 lbs. gas, 4 CF refrige

11 foot Lamplighter 2,712 lbs. with 28 gals. water, 20 lbs. gas, 4 CF refrige

11 foot Kingsman 2,741 lbs.with 28 gals. water, 20 lbs. gas, 4 CF refrige

11 foot Victorian RD 2,740 lbs.with 28 gals. water, 20 lbs. gas, 5 CF refrige

Options and added weights:

5 CF refrigerator instead of 4 CF - 40 lbs.

Hide-a-bed - 91 lbs.

Electric toliet 20 lbs.

Shower and 6 gal water heater - 67 lbs.

10,000 BTU AC 135 lbs.

12,000 BTU AC 155 lbs.

Heater - 30 lbs.

Converter 20 lbs.

Extension rear bumpber 123 lbs.

Rear ladder and roof rack 50 lbs.

Cool that you found that thread. I was looking for it so you could see the inside of the nicely remodeled Sunrader motorhome in post 5 that is basically the same as you camper. Got some good ideas there if you want to look at it Mike.

Linda S

To Mr Demaris. I think you will be surprised when Mike weighs it. Much less than you think

These mini truck campers come with a bathroom and still weigh just a touch over 1000lbs

http://www.westlandrv.ca/7.6-Import-Westland.html

Cool that you found that thread. I was looking for it so you could see the inside of the nicely remodeled Sunrader motorhome in post 5 that is basically the same as you camper. Got some good ideas there if you want to look at it Mike.

Linda S

To Mr Demaris. I think you will be surprised when Mike weighs it. Much less than you think

These mini truck campers come with a bathroom and still weigh just a touch over 1000lbs

http://www.westlandrv.ca/7.6-Import-Westland.html

Yes it was very nicely remodeled. I'm now trying to figure out if putting this on an 80 series is feasible. Starting to think that its the wrong one for an 80 series.... A pop top Chinook/Sunrader model would be much better.

Wheeling is what I do with my 80. If I had this up top, I'd be limited a bit by flex and side roll. If there was a lower profile camper on an 80 it would be better expedition wise. I'm not axing the IDEA yet... just thinking my thoughts out loud.

The Camper will get a makeover though and then I'll likely sell it unless I get a 4x4 Longbed truck for it. Definitely have to stay Yota though... And would have to swap out the rear axle for a 1 ton... just because.

Here are today's findings:

http://youtu.be/ywpalVEOL8U

Wasn't planning on finishing up today but it just happened. All that remains is a little bit of ceiling, and a few trim pieces which the screws will need to be drilled out of. Now it will likely sit under cover till I get some warm weather and then she will get glassed back together.

I think a fitting name for this camper would be 'Humpty'. I'll post a few more videos before I store it for the end of the winter.

EDIT: After tearing everything out, I'd say the complete interior weighs less than 400lbs. The Floor is 1/4" Ply with foam under it then glassed from the bottom. They used 1x1's throughout. I'm thinking it probably weighs in at NO more than 1200lbs max. Anyone else want to guess? I will get an accurate weight of the full interior, the shell and then the full assembly when put back together. Just give me 6 months or so.

http://youtu.be/9yQOElV9Gag

Linda S

No, I'm not surprised if it's a "mini-truck-camper." I know of a few that weigh 800 lbs. I assumed the Sunrader was a full size truck-camper. I gave weights with sizes for the campers I posted weights for.. I don't know the size of the Sunrader. In fact, I didn't know Sunrader ever made a mini-truck camper.

Looking a photos of campers when not on a truck fools me sometimes as to size. That Amerigo looks just like one a guy has sitting on his truck near where I live. It's been parked in his yard for years - sitting on top of a dually Ford F350 that I assume no longer runs. I stopped there once and asked if he'd sell it because I was looking for a fiberglass truck camper. He said he uses it for storage and also claimed it was "too heavy for regular pickup trucks.'

I've had my eye out for years for a fiberglass truck camper. Very rare in my part of the northeast. They are just about all wood/metal frame and interlocking metal siding and prone to leaks and rots.

Last year I had a scheme putting a full size truck camper on a Dodge Dakota. Dakota is one of the few small trucks with a full width bed that will fit a full size camper.

There are also rare versions with big rear axles. But I never found a non-rusty Dakota to try it out on that was cheap enough. So, instead I did some suspension work on my 1992 Dodge extended cab diesel truck and lowered it. My biggest problem with the Dodge diesel 4WD was it was too high. Truck campers run out of jack when trying to install or remove and get pretty "wobbly" when doing so. I just lowered my truck by 6" in back and works much nicer. 1st generation Dodge extended cab 4WD trucks leave the factory extremely high in back. Mine had 8" cast-iron riser blocks between the rear axle and springs. I took them out and pujt in 2" blocks.

On the subject of Sunraders - I've never seen a Sunrader truck camper in my life. I'd love to have one. Is your's for a mini-truck or is it a full width camper for full size trucks?

There are fiberglass campers back east.My friend Marc just emailed me yesterday that he picked up a Bigfoot camper for a super price.He's in Connecticut. Constructed the same way a Sunrader camper is but way newer. I have seen some Northern Lite campers back east too. Sunrader camper back east is way more rare. They were made in California and not too many of them big or small

Linda S

Well good and bad news.... The camper collapsed under the weight of materials I put in the bunk. Bad news is that it collapsed, the good news is that it identified the weak spots that will get addressed when rebuilding it! I believe that the structure of the cabinetry was helping to hold this up, when removed... humpty fell down.

http://youtu.be/_aPz9b2sl30

Well good and bad news.... The camper collapsed under the weight of materials I put in the bunk. Bad news is that it collapsed, the good news is that it identified the weak spots that will get addressed when rebuilding it! I believe that the structure of the cabinetry was helping to hold this up, when removed... humpty fell down.

Having a truck camper sitting on a trailer bed is not good even for one that has no rot. Especially when moving on the road with it. I near destructed a Chinook Chalet I bought off the truck. It's basically slide-on camper for a 6 foot bed. I darn near ruined it just getting it on the trailer. Then I had to add all sorts of temporary braces and straps etc. Had to truck it 300 miles and almost lost it a few times. Had lots of new cracks in it when I got it home.

I know nothing though about the Sunrader campers. Maybe their built like tanks. Most truck campers I've dealt with were built pretty flimsy, especially where the jacks hook up to them.

The shell is still perfect, the portion where it meets the floor/inner sides is toast... Yes Linda, it will be pretty awesome. Taking it off the trailer tonight after work. Stay tuned for more carnage!

Linda S, they say "when life gives you lemons.... squeeze them into your hard liquor!"

4 guys picked this up off a truck and set it on the ground. I'm sure thats possible but each guy would of had to lift at least 300lbs. I cannot pick up the shell alone so its got to weigh around 400lbs+. Those guys were way more man than me.

I was able to pull it around back and started to get it off the trailer, well that turned into getting the sawzall out... I did think of Bajadulce's build the whole time.... Cut out the floor and took off the back door. I took more video's but here is the end result.

I mention cleanup... well, I'm going to wait till the kids get home!

http://youtu.be/AsU6r9kY9ws

I'm waiting on a few parts for the 87 Sunrader... should probably focus on getting that one in 100% top condition before the sale.

Enjoy!