Valve seals replaced on 22re

bobar

i am replacing the valve seals on my 22re motor. I have been told that you can put air pressure on one cylinder at a time and replace those two seals,if you do it that way you don't have to pull the head. Any thoughts you may have on this would be welcomed.

No additional thoughts. I have done many, many engines over the years that way though. Works fine as long as you have an air compressor with a steady source of air. Yeah, that sounds like a "no brainer" but . . . once I had to put new valve seals in a Ford truck with no air compressor. I had to use a portable air tank that had just enough air to get two valve done before it ran out. No air = valve falling down. Not good.

You need an adapter that screws into a spark-plug hole with an air-chuck on it - and you need an overhead valve-spring compressor. Also a small pencil-magnet will be a big help to grap the valve keepers. Once air is in the combustion chamber - you usually have to rap each valve spring with a hammer to "unstick" the valve-spring retainer. You rap the OD of the spring, NOT the valve stem. Then remove the retainer, take out the old seal (if there is one), and install the new one. Then put the retainer back on, compress . . and put some heavy grease on the top of the valve where the keepers goes. Grease keeps them in place until you release the pressure off the compressor. I did a V8 Chevy recently and the whole job only took around 3 hours.

Old timie trick if you don't have a compressor. Remove all spark plugs, turn engine by hand, till both valves are closed on cylinder, stuff in about 12" of small rope, leave some outside for removal. Turn engine until it locks up. Change seals as per above.
PS not sure if you can remove springs without removing camshaft, cam bolts are head bolts too.

Old timie trick if you don't have a compressor. Remove all spark plugs, turn engine by hand, till both valves are closed on cylinder, stuff in about 12" of small rope, leave some outside for removal. Turn engine until it locks up. Change seals as per above.

PS not sure if you can remove springs without removing camshaft, cam bolts are head bolts too.

The 'Old Indian Rope Trick'! Yes, you definitely want a long enough rope that the whole thing doesn't accidentally all end up in the engine!!

I've used the rope trick many times on aircraft engines. Push about 50 ft of rope into the cyl, rotate the crank so the rope pushes up against the valve, remove the keeper. If your reaming the valve guides, you can drop the valve into the cyl, ream the guide, then using a long thin magnet, pull the valve back into the guide.

OH YAH, Don't push all the rope into the cyl, or you will be pulling the head.

John Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto