Hello,

I currently have a 1979 Sunraider 16" single axle. I am trying to get some information on this motorhome but have come to many dead ends. I came across this site dedicated to them and hope to bring in some sunlight in.

First and for most, I would like to know if and what diffrences are there in a 79-83 2wd sundraider toyota motorhome single axle frame and a 79-83 standard 2wd toyota frame? what other diffrences from a standard 2wd pickup are there? where there any changes mades to brakes, suspention, engine, front axle, radiator.....

This is what I do know/ have reason to believe so far:

I know the cab has a walkthru compaired to a closed off or sliding window cab,

The rims are in a sence 2 rims welded together making duallys,

I know its wired for 2 batterys in the engine compartment,

It has the tow mirrors.

The bed is a camper box.

Thats all I really know, I dont really know anything. I got a sunraider with a rotted frame thats being supported by bricks and a rotted cab. I have a few pickups available 79-83. I would like to put the 2 together but will be renting many of the tools. I need all the information gathered before hand.

I also know all about the 20r / 22r motors and what years they differed so i just need information on the motorhome.

Thank You all,

Frank Stupak III

post-645-1162767771.jpg

Hello,

I currently have a 1979 Sunraider 16" single axle. I am trying to get some information on this motorhome but have come to many dead ends. I came across this site dedicated to them and hope to bring in some sunlight in.

First and for most, I would like to know if and what diffrences are there in a 79-83 2wd sundraider toyota motorhome single axle frame and a 79-83 standard 2wd toyota frame? what other diffrences from a standard 2wd pickup are there? where there any changes mades to brakes, suspention, engine, front axle, radiator.....

This is what I do know/ have reason to believe so far:

I know the cab has a walkthru compaired to a closed off or sliding window cab,

The rims are in a sence 2 rims welded together making duallys,

I know its wired for 2 batterys in the engine compartment,

It has the tow mirrors.

The bed is a camper box.

Thats all I really know, I dont really know anything. I got a sunraider with a rotted frame thats being supported by bricks and a rotted cab. I have a few pickups available 79-83. I would like to put the 2 together but will be renting many of the tools. I need all the information gathered before hand.

I also know all about the 20r / 22r motors and what years they differed so i just need information on the motorhome.

Thank You all,

Frank Stupak III

Hi Frank, First off, the picture posted with your message is of a 78 Toyota truck, very common to be registered as a 79 because of the build dates, but the chassis is still a 78, 79 was the change to the nest 79/83 generation of body styles. There were no changes between a standard pickup and motorhome as far as radiator, engine, brakes, front axle, ect. possible upgrades to the rear suspension in the addition of one or two leaf springs for the increased weight but thats about it. Other changes might include cutting and lengthening the frame depending on camper length but from the picture it appears to be probably a long bed chassis with no mods, also they sometimes moved the fuel tank for certain floor plans, altered or moved/removed crossmembers for the camper placement, but thats about it.

The next generation trucks, 79/83 had a wider frame than the 78, by about 2 inches so if swapping to a later chassis it will probably involve moving the camper body mounting bolts if the original frame mounts were used on yours now.

If your has the welded together rear wheels then the rear axle hasn't been upgraded so its just the standard pickup rear axle, run at your own risk.

Drivetrain you said you know about so no need to go there, no real changes anyhoot. Good luck.

The picture isnt of my motorhome. its just the closest thing i could find to what it looks like. my girl friend recently mis-placed my camera so i cant take any pictures. I know its a 79 cause it has 1 headlight on each side (2 all together). the one on the picture has 2. (4 all together). i also have the original window stickers from the dealership and the car fax reports it back as a 79. so im possitive its a 79, hahaha. its about 16 foot and really isnt much longer then my 83 longbed 4x4 so hopefully there are not to many mods.

what do you mean about the rear axle? what should I do about it? whats a good replacement axle?

what does anyone recommend i do about removing the box??? i cant think of what to use to pick it up. its way to heavy for a bunch of guys. any suggestions?

thanks ~Frank

what do you mean about the rear axle? what should I do about it? whats a good replacement axle?

what does anyone recommend i do about removing the box??? i cant think of what to use to pick it up. its way to heavy for a bunch of guys. any suggestions?

thanks ~Frank

OK, I just assumed the picture was of your rig, The rear axle deal has been disscussed many times so theres lots of info out and about on it, they had problems in the earlier model campers with over weight, and the wide welded together wheels, it put a lot of leverage on the axle ends leading to axle breakage, bearing problems, and wheel breakage too. In the mid 80's the DOT mandated a recall to upgrade to the new 1 ton floating axle dual wheel assembly Toyota had come out with to correct the problem that was pretty much cuased by the coach builders building the campers right at the limits of gross weight ratings before they were even loaded with people and gear. In the later 80's Toyota built the full 1 ton chassis for conversion use. Anyrate the story goes on and on until Toyota ceased production and supplying the chassis for camper use.

Now on your 16' Sunrader its possible it wasn't recalled because of the size and weight, others on the site can offer more info on that I,m sure, but even if it wasn't under the recall, the wide welded wheels can still cause undo stress to the rear axle assembly and lead to failure. The 1 ton floater axle is a beefier axle assembly, uses a 2 bearing setup with a floating axle similar to a 3/4 ton big truck, with the large center hub and actual Budd style dual wheels that are 2 single wheels.

Lifting the camper off the frame can be a task, I actually did a Chinook by myself once, that was years ago in my more energetic days, jack and blocked the corners until it was high enough to slide the frame out from under it, next one I used an engine hoist through the back door to lift the rear, a person on each front corner to lift, and 1 to roll the frame out. :weight_lift: Good luck on your project.

Thank you, and thank you for your help. I will look aroud the a 1 ton axle and get this project under way. ~Frank Stupak

With a shortie Toy, weight it front and rear. Some of them are light enough that you can get a single 15" rim and run a little larger tire. The 15" tires will carry 1700lb ea in a single mode. So if your rear axle weight is around 2500 lb you have enough spare carring capicity.

Even then I would put in new bearings and have the axles crack checked.

WME