Tomorrow I will start tearing into my newly aquired '83 Toyota 4x4 22r. Its got 211K on it. Runs but throws, or, as some may say, sprays like a firehose, oil out of the timing chain cover. Drove it around the guys yard (long enough to determine that 4wd worked) & it was completeley gutless. Not too surprising for a truck advertised with a spray painted sign for $500.

$400 & a reluctant friend later, it was towed to my yard.

With all this said, I'm not looking for a diagnosis, as I expect a full rebuild & then some! What I am looking for is any input or suggestions in regards to horsepower or effiencey(read gas milage) improvements that could easily be done through the course of an engine rebuild. I know there is at least one person on this site who is SUPER pro turbo. Lets hear it! Any info will be welcome.

This rebuild is part of a larger project; this truck will eventually house a '78 Chinook camper. For more info, pics, & to give feedback, check out the " '78 Chinook Newport rebuild" thread in the "tech issues" forum.

Thanks for your info & time. Kevin

Whatcher budget???

Cam, header, new Weber Carb, head with OS valves and a 3 angle valve job. Should give you a very street-able 115-120 hp engine, stock is around 97hp. 82 was the last year for the twin row cam chain (bullet proof) and what is called the short block. In 83 Toyota went to the single row cam chain (booo) and the tall block. Check your engine before ordering parts.