Going from fuel injected to carbed...good or bad?

I am looking for a motor right now for a 1986 18 ft odyssey which has a feul injected 22re with automatic.

I have found a setup from an 87 pickup that has a 22re carbed motor with auto transmission.

Can someone tell me if it would be fine to unbolt the motor and tranny from the truck and just drop it in the motorhome.

Is there pros and cons to this...and does anybody know the "best" setup I should look for.

Thank you.

An "RE" engine is fuel injected unless some one changed the manifold etc. As far as I am concerned the sooner the last carb is in the junk yard the better. As far as I know it is possible to use the FI manifold on an 87 (it should be fuel injected any way) that would be the way to go. If you try to use the carb you'll have problems with the fuel system,wiring and linkage. The trans should not be an issue provided its a 2 wheel drive donor.

Ok thanks for the ehads up on the "RE" I was wondering about that.

So your opinion would be to find an RE for this or else try to fix the one it has?

I am finding a few 22 R's around but not any RE's.

Also is a manual better to have in these or should I stay with the Auto if it works properly?

I did drive this a couple of blocks and it took about two minutes for the transmission to warm up before it would take off...not sure if that is normal or not yet.

Stick with the fuel injected. I think the bore and stroke are the same but not sure for both engines. Whats that mean? You can swap everything over to the new block and head. IE the manifolds etc. The cam is probably different though. What I would do is drop in a new rv cam and timing chain kit. New rear and front main seals. New freeze plugs. Your other choice is to find a fuel injected you can drop in but unless you find the same exact year there will be some differences and you might still have to swap over some components. The RE engine is really common and should be tons and tons in the wrecking yards. Broaden your search.

Transmission should go as soon as you start it up. no warm up time. Warm up time is bad news.

Yeah like Greg said the trans should be ready to go as soon as you put it in gear hard lip seals from age. Swapping to a stick is a bit of a pain pedals, clutch cylinders, drive shaft, holes in the floor not for the faint of heart. The RE's are newer and they used them for quite awhile they are out there don't give up.

One thing to keep in mind is some Toyota Automatic transmissions will not shift in to Overdrive till the engine is warm. This is a normal condition, and no cause for concern.

Thank you all for the comments and I am sorry for the delay...been working on this thing day and night but still haven't figured out what I am going to do yet. Thank you all for the comments and I am sorry for the delay...been working on this thing day and night but still haven't figured out what I am going to do yet.

I do have a couple more questions now based on your comments though.

Please note that I am not that mechanically versed when reading these...lol

1. Would the motor in this RV most likely have anything special like an RV cam if it is the original motor for the 1987 Odyssey?

- If I go the "only fixing the head gasket route" is there anything I should know when getting parts or telling a mechanic?

2. If this motor has been sitting for around a year with a blown head gasket should I just replace that or will I end up wasting the money because there could be problems with the lower end of the motor from water being in the oil? 57k on motor.

3. If the head gasket gets fixed should I do anything at the same time? Timing chain etc.?

4. The transmission definitely takes a bit to warm up before it will move...no matter what gear.

Does this mean the tranny is bad...does it need fluid changed etc? Looking for possibles here.

5. If that tranny is bad and I look for a new one will I need / or should I buy any new parts at the same time? For example if I was getting a 5 speed to put in it I would want to add a new clutch while it is out.

Thank you all very much for your help...I am new to this stuff and am trying to learn but it seems like I am learning the hard way all the time :( On that note...errrr! to roof leaks...lol

Christian, the only way to learn is the hard way!!

Cam, - I dont know but I suspect it is the stock pickup cam - unless a previous owner swapped it.

water in oil - What does the oil look like? if it is clear, then the oil is either floating on water, is the dipstick over full? or there is no water. If it looks like cream then the oil is emulsified into the water. Either way, you probably will be all right, it wont have done the motor much good, but probably wont have killed it. If the head gasket is that badly blown, I would worry more about a broken piston than a rusted bearing. If a combustion chamber is full of water, and the piston comes up and hits it, it is very hard on the piston and rod.

I have never seen a head gasket that bad, but if the pan is full of water, that may be a problem. Take out the spark plugs and turn the motor over by hand, or with the starter, Put

a compression guage on each pot, you wont get a true reading, but it will let you know if you have a no compression hole, if that is the case chuck the motor.

My inclination would be to put in a head gasket, check the head for flatness and get local advice on how to torque the head down, get it running and see what you have. The timing chain should be good till 100K mi

You have an automatic? changing to a manual is not trivial, you have no clutch so yes you would have to get a new one. Visit your junk yards there are lots of Toyota pick ups around and put in a used tranny. try and get one with less than 200K mi. Make a friend of a small local repair shop, If you treat him/her right, the info you will gain is invaluable.

Ask at your small town FLAPS (friendly local auto parts store) who is a good backyarder on Toyotas. they will know.

Put your questions up one at a time, it makes answering them less work. (IMHO)...........................Tony

PS where in the world are you?

Thanks Nibs...I am trying to get someone to help me with the head gasket as soon as possible.

I guess it is worth a shot since I will only be in it $350 more dollars and the engine does sound really good and doesn't smoke.

I am in Sacramento CA, been working on resealing my metal roof since 5:30 a.m....trying to beat the rain thats on it's way. This is a backbreaking job....the previous owners had used silicone along the joints then went over it with something like Dicor it appears...it is all cracked up and I am scraping as much as possible off and then using two of Lowes metal roof products to do the entire thing.

I will be checking the oil situation later today and see what it looks like again...and sounds liek I will have to stick to the auto instead of going to manual....just wondering how this things power will be (if the trans works that is..lol)....Well off to scraping I go....yay!