Roof sag - fix or not?

Barbara

I knew the roof sagged on my 84’ Sunrader because the upper cabinet door inside wouldn’t open all the way (hit the left side of the AC unit cover). I’m renovating the interior and have a lot of it torn out, but am a little reluctant to take on redoing the roof.  I swear I read somewhere on the forum that the 84’ roof gets it’s strength from plywood that is fiberglassed to it, and it’s not a good idea to tear it off?  

I removed the AC unit from the roof to replace the gasket, which really showed how bad the sag is.  If water pools up there with the AC unit in the middle, will the thickness of the gasket be enough to keep water out?  I laid a board from side to side across the roof to show the gap (shown in the pic).  I’m a newbie and have never seen another Sunrader so I don’t have anything to compare it to, but this doesn’t look good to me.  Do I need to bite the bullet and shore up the roof?  Any advice is appreciated. 

4C42A9FF-7244-4163-B8F0-16C032F20952.jpeg

7FF7784B-D214-4530-8D33-A4CCCDD33FA3.jpeg

Hi Barbara,

I'm sure the Sunrader folks will chime in to help but in the meantime read through this Sunrader gut and restore. They went to some extreme measures to deal with the roof sag. Can't say that would be for a newbie so hope there are easier solutions.

Cheers,

Gary