I just had my 1990 Odyssey Toyota Motorhome in for tire change with Hankook 8 ply tires.  40 miles down the road I was told by a motorist that my right rear wheels were wobbling terribly and looked like they would fall off any moment.  I limped back home at 30 mph as the install shop was closed (sunday).  I am wondering what kind of damage would be expected to the wheel studs, to the wheels themselves, to the wheel bearings in the right rear axel, and any other type of damage expected that I cannot think of.  I am not a mechanic, and am reluctant to take the motorhome back to the same shop that installed these tires because I am wondering if they have sufficient expertise.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Get out your lug wrench and tighten up the lug nuts ASAP,  Do not drive until this is done.

Actual damage is usually just the studs and nuts. Your looking at $200-300 in repair costs. You have to remove the axle to replace the studs, lots of labor, the parts will be the least of your expenses. The shop that caused the problem should be responsible for the repairs.

The damage is the wobbling rim will mangle the threads that it rubs against. This reduces the amount of good threads that the lug nut has, the clamping force on the rims is reduced and could result in more wobbles in the future. Where ever you go for the repair have the shop remove the wheels and YOU inspect the threads,  a damaged thread is probably OK, but 3 or more is bad

Edited by WME