Purchase 1991 Odessey?

campingcampbell

Hello! 

Im real close to the purchase of a 91 Odessey. Around 107k miles. The engine and transmission were rebuilt in 2013. The roof was reframed using cedar. 

My main concern is that it’s been sitting for two years. Seller can’t confirm the gas heater and gas lines in general are in working condition. I’ll be travel 500 miles to make the purchase in San Antonio. I’ll be remodeling the RV, so I’m expecting some work. 

Main question is, on the ‘91 Odessey, what major issues can i expect? If taken well care of, should everything  function as well as expected? Or should i expect to replace gas lines/valves. 

Any input is welcome. 

Thanks 

Hi.
I have an '88 Odyssey with 89k miles that we've been running for a couple years now. It just spent 14 months in storage while we were travelling in Europe, and when we picked it up it was just fine. The gas lines were all as good as new and all of my appliances worked just fine. The heaters in them (Suburban NT-16SE) are prone to problems, but are easy to fix. I put a new fan motor and a brain board in mine. Total cost for that repair was less than $250 and it works like new now.

The Wedgewood stove/oven combo is really good and i would be surprised if yours doesnt work. The refrigerators are less great, however and you might find that yours has leaks and no longer has ammonia in it. If that is the case, you can get a new core for around $600 or a new fridge for around $1200. I wound up buying a new unit two years ago and it's been great so far.

Overall, I'm really happy with my odyssey and highly recommend them.

We love our rear dinette odyssey.  They're slightly bigger than other toyhomes. Depends on how much water damage there is.  Risky to buy without seeing it first. Check out the current 4 by 4 Odyssey total redo thread on this site from florida.

While there are 1001 things that need to be checked, in my opinion over heating is #1 worst issue.  With rebuilt motor you should be ok there. 

Long drive after buying and tires would be my main concern.  Seller says there is lots of thread on the Maypop tires.  But they are 10 years old, dry rotted and may pop any second. Sitting for long periods of time is very bad for tires.   

https://www.tirebuyer.com/education/how-to-determine-the-age-of-your-tires

If the tires are over 3 years old, look up how to inspect for dry rot or have tires inspected at a tire shop.  We just had a member lose a 4 year old tire, that had sat for the 4 years.  What is the big deal with getting a flat?  They can disintegrate and do lots of damage to RV!  I would replace tires of unknown history at 5 years old!