Howdy folks !

Anyone out there ever put an exhaust gas temperature guage on one of these motorhomes? I fried an exhaust header last year, and the fella that sold me the header told me I was probably running close to 1700 degrees F.to do that. Asked me what a/f ratio I was running and I told him 13 to 1.I bought an exhaust gas temp guage, and it showed that the engine under accelleration would go to 1800 degrees F. He sold me a heavy duty manifold to replace the old one, and said when I got it all together to take my readings from the computer and send them to him to check out. I did so and he made several reccomendations to get rid of the heat. I set them there and it still would walk up to 1600 or so. More tweaking ensued , but I stilll will go up to 1500 -1600 degrees or so under load. Heck, driving along at 2500-2750 r.p.m. on a flat road,with NO boost, this unit will show 1250 degrees F. I'm starting to think this amount of heat is normal. Anyone had some experience with exhaust gas temps?

UPDATE...

Got it fixed. Knock sensor was reading a very tiny, light piston slap as pre-ignition on acceleration. It would back out timing to where the exhaust gas temp would rise. Disconnected the knock sensor and the temp dropped. Checked out the piston slap with a race mechanic, he said that it was so minor that it probably could wait till fall to repair. So, I'll keep a eye on it and replace the pistons after this summer.

No idea about real temps, but I pulled over after a long climb at night once and the manifold was dull orange red. So it was HOT.

Large diesel trks We used to try to keep it 1200f or under, that was before aftercoolers with a turbo the probe was mounted usually before the turbo.Some of the engs with no turbo would go 1400/1500f pegged as I rember and a ball of fire visable out of the stack at night without the turbo we didn't worry about it much.