Hi There,

I just bought an 87' Dolphin 22re 4 cyl auto yesterday with 53k miles. I have read about engine swaps, turbos etc. But is there any simple bolt ons I can do to add HP? One thing,specifically I am going to need to replace the exhaust soon. Is there an aftermarket system that adds any HP? any other tips?

Thanks,

Ron

I just bought an 87' Dolphin 22re 4 cyl auto yesterday with 53k miles. I have read about engine swaps, turbos etc. But is there any simple bolt ons I can do to add HP? One thing,specifically I am going to need to replace the exhaust soon. Is there an aftermarket system that adds any HP? any other tips?

K&N filter. Headers and exhaust. I have a V6 but here is a almost bolt in exhaust. Its a cat back system. From the cat to the muffler though its OEM pipe size but the muffler and tail pipe is large diameter.

I_250200_SW_1.jpg Bought mine from JCwhitney. Its not like the picture though, its single outlet but nice chrome. Used all my stock Toyota hangers, if yours is presently not on the stock hangers you will need the Toyota hanger donuts ($17 each from Toyota). The tail pipe was too short to extend out past the side of the camper so I had to cut it and insert a piece to get it out there. Also it was short to reach my OEM cats ( I have 2 in-line with each other) so I had to insert a piece there. Otherwise I am really happy with it. Sounds nice too!. As far as more power that is hard to say. Some idiot had put on a muffler and tail pipe assembly that was smaller diameter than my down pipe from the exhaust manifold. So yo there was a performance gain when I got the restricted exhaust off. Why JCwhitney? Many online parts sellers sell this exact same brand but only JCwhitney will take it back and pay the return shipping if it don't fit. And while the exhaust is all apart you have to check the catalytic converter and make sure its not plugged. A plugged cat will reduce HP greatly. http://www.jcwhitney.com/tfx-performance-kat-back-exhaust-systems-stainless-steel-tips/p2006396.jcwx

Headers are another option. More than I want to take on right now but maybe one day. Here is JC's link, sorta has good reviews http://www.jcwhitney.com/performance-header-kits-for-4-6-and-8-cylinder-vehicles/p2006319.jcwx

Hi Ron,

If you do decide to go the header route, I would recommend a header based on the Tri-Y design, instead of the 4 in 1 design. The Tri-Y design gives more low end torque at the lower RPMs, the 4 in 1 design for higher RPMs. You can see a picture of the Tri-Y header I installed on our 1985 Sunrader here: http://toyotamotorho...wimage&img=1497 .

Please note that 1985-1988 22RE (EFI) pickups/motorhomes used a 1 wire oxygen sensor. Hence, the oxygen sensor can only monitor one of the exhaust cylinders, since it relies on the heat from the exhaust to operate properly. When it came time to smog our Sunrader here in California (after installing the header), it failed miserably at an idle (too rich), it was fine at the higher rpms. I ended up having to mount a 1989 and later universal 4 wire oxygen sensor (built in heater) at the collector (monitors all 4 cylinders) to get it to pass. It runs both cleaner and smoother at an idle now.

Note: I could of installed the 4 wire oxygen sensor at the 1 wire location, it probably would of worked fine; however, I wanted to monitor all the cylinders for a more accurate reading.

Regards,

Allen