Any one out there ever done a automatic to 5 spd swap? I found a 2wd pickup cheap with a 5 spd so I'll have all parts.

Any one out there ever done a automatic to 5 spd swap? I found a 2wd pickup cheap with a 5 spd so I'll have all parts.

Check the sticky at the top of the page. Probably tell ya something in there.

Guess I don’t see a sticky or know what I am looking for either. The auto in 3rd gear is direct and the 5 spd is direct in 4th. (1 to 1 ratio) You are right about final drives generally automatics are geared slightly higher because the torque converter acts as a torque amplifier how ever I would think A: it probably is the same for the truck and B: it probably will not matter if it is a little higher. I am trying to weigh the options I’m thinking getting the thing moving is going to make the clutch ware faster then normal and would be a bit more difficult to maneuver at slow speeds (backing up etc.). So do I take great care of the automatic and figure a 100,000 mile overhaul? Or put the 5 spd in because I prefer a stick? It would also give me a broader range of ratios probably better on the hills. I don’t see any real gain in road speed but maybe a slight gain in mileage. So if some one has tried a swap maybe they could give me the pros and cons. I don’t know why I think I need another project but I can buy the pickup so cheap! Oh it also has a SR5 dash with all the gauges too.

Where is the sticky or what is it??. I wonder which is the stronger trans (auto or standard) it seems to me that which ever its getting a workout 3/4 to full throttle most of the time mine's a v6 with auto wouldn't mind if the rear was just a tad lower might be able to use OD more.

At the top of this forum page ( Engine , trans, suspension..etc.) are three subjects that are pinned. These pins are also called stickies by some.There is one on tranny overhauls, one on engine/tranny swaps, and another one I can't think of the title. The are the first things you see..

I'lll try a link

http://www.toyotamotorhome.org/forums/inde...p?showtopic=413

hope it works for ya...

At the top of this forum page ( Engine , trans, suspension..etc.) are three subjects that are pinned. These pins are also called stickies by some.There is one on tranny overhauls, one on engine/tranny swaps, and another one I can't think of the title. The are the first things you see..

I'lll try a link

http://www.toyotamotorhome.org/forums/inde...p?showtopic=413

hope it works for ya...

Thank you I stand enlightened. I was the service manager for a large transmission shop years ago and the write up for the trans overhaul is spot on. Now I know what I read was a sticky!

The nice thing about the Toyota pickup is ever thing is there that I need pedals, fly wheel, all the hyd plumbing, nuts bolts and washers. The floor is all ready plated for either trans the only possible issue I can think of is drive shaft length. I have only owned automatic cars/trucks briefly (and boy I have had a ton of them) so I’m having a hard time adjusting keep looking for the damn pedal! Now all I need is some one to talk me out of it! I should look on the bright side it’s easier to tune the radio with out having to shift gears.