Holding Tank Straps Corroded/Broken

MaineErik

The metal straps that support the sewer tanks are very corroded - one of the straps for the grey tank has long since bit the dust and the remaining 3 (1 on the grey, 2 on the black) are all looking close to their deathbeds too.  For the black tank I was going to skip attaching new straps to the floor and instead wrap heavy duty nylon webbing (or galvanized plumbing strapping) around the easy-to-access truck frame.  The grey tank is throwing me for one though because the frame is inaccessible tucked-up between the tank and the side skirting.  I'm sure the proper way of handling this would be to remove the toilet, shower, carpet, etc. and replace the original hardware - but I don't need it to be that perfect.  Any ideas???
The whole shebang must be mounted in some other way too, even with these straps not doing their jobs the tanks are still very solidly attached to the bottom of the coach.  I suspect that when they are full and bouncing down the road the extra support of the straps would be necessary.  Thanks!

broken grey tank strapgrey tankblack tank

On my 93 Sea Breeze the straps that go under the skirting are attached to the 2x2 that is the side of the floor. If I were doing this I would remove the side skirt and attach there.  Be prepared to replace a bit of rot if you go this route.

You could use galvalum to fashion your own straps if you are so inclined. 

There was a couple braces holding mine on with a 2 large pull rivets on the end.  The bulk of the holding power was a tape/sealant on top in the metal j channel.  A little finesse and some time maybe a utility knife and it will come out.

• 2 weeks later...

Side skirting was not something easily removed - I could find no fasteners anywhere - on my model it appears the skirting was attached to wall and then assembled to the coach in 1 go.  So I removed the shower floor and found that it wasn't nearly as difficult as I though since all the caulking was dried out :)  Managed to find some old gas tank straps in the garage (have no idea where they came from, being a hoarder has it's benefits), and replaced the corroded straps.  It's all back together now and it's nice to have done!  FYI, the straps on my Itasca were attached to the floor, not the frame.  
Tanks are in really good shape.  No brittleness at all.  I read about some woes other folks have with them and I wonder if there were several materials of construction being used at the time.