Generator

fire362

How big of a generator would be sufficient enough to run a micowave, blender, coffee maker, etc. Was thinking of purchasing a Honda 2000, but thought I've seen something about having a 4000? I have a 1986 Sunrader 4x4 18'. Don't know where I would put a bigger one than the 2000 if I really need that one at all. Don't have any knowledge on how these watts work. What do you guys use?

Thanks, Ken

If you have no a/c 2k watts should be more then enough to run most any thing you can carry. It probably would run an a/c unit alone skip the coffee maker while the a/c is on and you should be fine. When I had a popup I ran the coffee pot charged the battery, lights etc. with only 1,500 watts. My MH has a 2,800 watt Onan and it runs every thing a/c and all. Make sure you buy the quietest one you can they can be very annoying seems like the quietest ones are the most expencive.

Hey there,

I have found a near new Coleman 2000/2500w peak ultra, really small, for use with my 86' Dolphin.

Here is the big question . . .

How loud is 75 dba?

The honda eu2000i rates at 59dba.

If this is true - how do I quieten the coleman down? can it be encased? The deal is too good to consider a $500 plus honda.

Is it worth saving up to $400 to make a little louder noise?

ColemanPowermate-pm0422505_300.jpg

Thanks,

Kevin

Thepager5

The one I used in my pop up was a Buffalo Tools 2,000 watt it is quite quiet maybe not Honda quiet but not bad. The good part, it was less then $200 and was light enough to carry with one hand. It came from a VIP parts store here in Maine maybe you have a similar store where you are or just try Buffalo Tools on line. I used one for a gathering in Canada different name but it was the same thing and it ran pretty much non stop for a week. If you use a good grade extension cord (14 awg or better) you can all ways hide it in the woods when it’s running.

Kevin

Every 3db is a doubling of the sound pressure level. So for 16 db lets see: +3db = 2x +6db = 4x +9db = 8x +12db = 16x +15db = 32x Anyway, you get the idea.

Some of the noise is due to a crappy muffler, but at these price levels a lot of noise is mechanical (piston slap from large clearances, bearing knock, cam opening valves, valves snapping shut, and last but not least, the noise made by the impeller of the cooling system). This kind of noise can't be damped out, it has to be designed out and in some cases requires precision machining to avoid, which you more than likely will not find in a $150 engine.

The Honda EU series is a worthwhile investment and will provide years of quiet, reliable service. Competitors continue to produce junk because (cheap) people without values buy it. Quality will only improve when people stop buying junk. Its a lesson being learnt the hard way by the US automotive industry.

You can pay the big bucks for a Honda, Kipor, Onan (by the way a small portable Onan generator is Chinese) or other quality generators and yes they are quiet. Or you could go off the deep end and buy an inverter generator they are the quietest by far. Then again you could buy a inexpensive one, most of them now are OHV engines and are much quieter then the old ones look for a large muffler and over head valves. The Chinese small ones even look like a Honda and are quite quiet for what they are. I have used numerous generators for different purposes from 5 to 2,200 HP some with unacceptable noise levels some acceptable. I stand by the little 2000 watt Chinese generator it works fine is reasonably quiet and fits in a small space, most generators are not used 24/7 by the average person so even a cheap one will last many years.

The Eu series are inverter type generators which allow the motor to run only as fast as needed for the electrical load. Hence very quiet and and lot more fuel efficient. I am personally disappointed with the loudness of the Robin / Subaru motor on my home generator. I really expected it to be quieter.

An inverter generator is defiantly the way to go if you have the bucks. Too bad about the Robin unit they have a pretty good reputation. I run a Onan rv 5kw one for my house it is an older one that has an 1800 rpm twin the only problem is that it’s a 120 volt output I did cure that problem with a buck/boost transformer. Generally the gen sets are 3600 rpm or 1800 (primarily to make 60hz) I don’t think any one is making a 1800 rpm unit any more probably because it’s cheaper to use a smaller faster turning engine. Too bad though they are a lot quieter. My Toyota has a 2.8kw Onan it’s a 3600 rpm but Onan does make a quiet generator if it is facing away from you it really is had to hear it. I agree with you if you can afford it buy the quietest one you can because you maybe the one parked next to me!