axel replacement needed with new suspension?

GypsyWindTraveler

I am getting the Leaf Springs on my 18ft Sunrader replaced and was told that I should have to worry that the Axel is a 5 lug nut type. They seamed to know about the recall of the 5 nut type of axels and told me that since my camper is only 18ft and that im getting new leaf springs on it that the new suspension will make it so that I dont have to worry about getting the axel replaced.

It makes sense to me, If heard a few people say that the 18ft type are fine and not to worry about them breaking.

Was just curious if others thing this was a good idea or if I should still try to find a way to get the axel replaced as well.

Howdy Gypsy.

Well, let us see here.

New springs will not change whether your rear axle bearings and axles hold up or not. Bearing failure and axle breakage are caused by the load( weight) on the components, and the condition of the bearings and axles. Your rigs rear axle has a single bearing per side, therefore you have two bearings bearing( sorry, unintended pun) probably 75 percent of the total weight of the motorhome. Also this weight is transferred to the road through two tires. A bearing or tire failure can get kinda hairy with this set-up. The lighter weight of the 18 footer will allow this set-up to work for quite a while.

The full floater axle set-up has two bearings per side, along with two tires per side. The bearings and tires are also of heavier construction, minimizing the chance of failure. You double your safety. You spoke farther down the site about adding a higher roof on your rig. If this is accomplished, you add more weight to the rig, stressing the axle and tires more. I would strongly suggest going with the dually axle, just to be on the safe side.

Hope this is informative.

I agree with Shoprat. Also, another point to think about is that just because your rig is three

three shorter than a 21 footer, does not mean it is lighter, it all depends on how you load up

your rig, and some of the 21 footers probably benefited from newer lighter weight material.

If you can find a 6 lug one-ton axle, I would play it safe and go with it.

Dennis...

Howdy Gypsy.

Well, let us see here.

New springs will not change whether your rear axle bearings and axles hold up or not. Bearing failure and axle breakage are caused by the load( weight) on the components, and the condition of the bearings and axles. Your rigs rear axle has a single bearing per side, therefore you have two bearings bearing( sorry, unintended pun) probably 75 percent of the total weight of the motorhome. Also this weight is transferred to the road through two tires. A bearing or tire failure can get kinda hairy with this set-up. The lighter weight of the 18 footer will allow this set-up to work for quite a while.

The full floater axle set-up has two bearings per side, along with two tires per side.

On my 18ft I have two tires on each side on the rear axel but only 5 bolts. Is there a single tire rear axel with 5 bolts as well? or do all the 5 bolt style have two wheels like the floater axel style?

thanks again for the info!

I agree with Shoprat. Also, another point to think about is that just because your rig is three

three shorter than a 21 footer, does not mean it is lighter, it all depends on how you load up

your rig, and some of the 21 footers probably benefited from newer lighter weight material.

If you can find a 6 lug one-ton axle, I would play it safe and go with it.

Dennis...

Ill definitly keep an eye out for the 6 lug axel. Hopefully I can find one at some point.

Iv definitly been rethinking what I carry in the RV. I definitly want to cut down the weight. But seeing as me and my girlfriend live out of it, vend out of it, make our art in it, we have to carry alot of stuff around.

mayhap we should trade/sell it and get a larger one sometime soon lol

On my 18ft I have two tires on each side on the rear axel but only 5 bolts. Is there a single tire rear axel with 5 bolts as well? or do all the 5 bolt style have two wheels like the floater axel style?

thanks again for the info!

You really need to weigh your Sunrader before making any decision. Your 5Bolt rear axle should be rated by Toyota at 2900Lbs (its what Toyota called a "3/4 ton truck" axle). Look at the weight tag to confirm this. If you are more than a bit over that I would consider a one ton axle. If you are at or below 2900Lbs I would consider singling the rear axle (it accepts the standard Toyota Pickup wheel) using Load Range "D" tires.

Lew

SKP #100106

Hotel Dolphin-400 nights and 50,000Mi in 4Yrs

http://traveldolphin.blogspot.com/

'86 21Ft RB Dolphin, 22RE, A43D, One Ton Rear Axle

5960LB rolling on P195/70R14 Load Range "B" tires

Kyocera 125W Solar, Solar Boost 2000E MPPT Controller

Lifeline Grp27 AGM

Atwood 7916II, Dometic 2410, Insinkerator 2.5Gal 1500W WtrHtr

Rear mount 8KBtu 10.8EER Frigidaire A/C

Permanent Macerator Sewage Pump (no Stinky Slinky for us!)

Rostra Servo-Motor Actuated Cruise Control

Sprint Sierra Aircard 595 in an IBM ThinkPad R52

Cyfre Dual-Band Cellphone/Aircard Amplifier

Howdy Lew.

Good idea on the "weigh the thing".

My 21ft Sunrader weighs in at 5860 lbs. This is on a full floater. If that 18 footer comes close to that, a full floater should realy be considered.

Howdy Lew.

Good idea on the "weigh the thing".

My 21ft Sunrader weighs in at 5860 lbs. This is on a full floater. If that 18 footer comes close to that, a full floater should realy be considered.

about how much does the whole process of buying and having a rear axel put on cost?

I just spent another $900 getting the leaf springs replaced this last week, and am not out of income and out of $... im guessing having the read axel replaced is another $1,000+

I think the both of us living out of it with all of our art materials (im a leatherworker) will probebly be about the weight limit....

Thank you all for all the information.

This is something iv been worrying about alot lately since we live in this full time. Iv already been in one really bad car accident, I definitly dont need my home tumbeling off the road as well.

Im going to try to find somewhere to weigh it at once it gets back from the shop this week...