I have a 1985 toyota dolphin  4 cylinder and I purchased a manual on dvd it states not to tow a car.

I have a honda rebel 250cc and want to know can I tow it on a small trailer? I was told that its about 300 lbs, or can I put it on a cargo rack on the back like they use for powered carts ?I'm know not sure if that's harmful. I'm driving to Az from NH and planned on getting around on it while rv is parked. I don't have much other than clothing and some dishes  I'm bringing along. 

I tow my ATV behind my '88 Escaper.  I use a light weight trailer to haul the ATV and keep my load as light as possible.  I have seen some people tow some pretty heavy boats and such but I would not do it.  Most of the manufacturers say that the RV's have NO towing capacity.   

2 hours ago, Bob C said:

Most of the manufacturers say that the RV's have NO towing capacity.   

I think that if the manufacturers were more honest, they would say "The frame extensions we add are so marginal that you shouldn't put any weight on the rear bumper. They are barely able to support what we've added."! :)

If you're comfortable towing a trailer, go for it. The biggest difficulty I see is when reversing. Short trailer, out of sight, could be challenging. I'm sure a back-up camera would help.

Northern Tool and likely Harbor Fright make very light folding trailers....I think mine weighs maybe 200-250 even with 1/2" ply decking, and they make a smaller one.  a Rebel is about 350-400.  so even being pessimistic, you're only talking about 65 lbs tongue weight and 650 lbs total trailer weight.  whether a dolphin will tow that, more qualified folks than me will have to say.

Derek, the bike sticks up enough that you can usually see even a small trailer.  but yeah, seems like backup camera is a no brainer for any toyhome.

I agree 100% with what Derek stated.  And besides the lack of strength in those extensions, it is also a matter of distance that hitch is from the rear-axle.  Being so far back gives unwanted leverage to amplify the tongue-weight affect on the RV.  Toyota Chinooks are the only Toyota RVs I've seen that permit towing as stated in the manual.  They are short, with short frame extensions are are also much lighter then bigger Toyota RVs.  Chinooks from 1975 to 1979 allow a max gross trailer weight of 1000 lbs. and a max tongue weight of only 150 lbs.  I would be afraid to tow a small  (500 lbs or less) trailer with my 1988 Minicruiser, but that because we have no hills where I am. I'd never consider doing it somewhere where there was.

• 1 month later...

I used to ride trials as a kid. This one guy came to the competitions with his bike behind a small car. He had fabricated this aluminum tray or dish that the front wheel sat in. He simply took the chain off and the bike followed behind. 

Kahuna 

• 1 month later...