87 Dolphin v. 1992 Dolphin

eliump

Looking for some advice here. I have the opportunity to buy a 1987 Toyota Dolphin described as in excellent condition all around with under 30,000 miles for $7,500 or a 1992 Toyota Dolphin, also described as in excellent condition, with 90,000 miles on it for $8,500. Assuming all systems are fully operational and performing well, which vehicle would be the better one to buy? Thanks for your thoughts :rolleyes:

Those two units will have same heavy rear axle, transmission, coach body construction and appliances. The '92 has a significantly higher horsepower V6 . Some just have to have the POWER. The older 4Cyl 22RE on the other hand has a better reputation for longevity (V6 had/has head gasket issues) and gets better fuel economy. Some of us just have to have the lower Fuel Consumption. The '92 could have a rubber roof instead of the aluminum roof the '87 has?? The '87 may or may not have 6 bolt front wheels matching the rear wheels?? Rebuilt engines and transmissions for either can be had if necessary. Toyota and third-party parts for both are readily available.

Those differences and similarities aside, with vehicles of this age for me it is all about condition. Odometer reading is largely meaningless. 30,000Mi on a 20Yr old vehicle might actually be a minus. I would be looking very closely at the condition of the Frame, the Cab underneath, the coach Floor and the Roof. All else is not critical and can be repaired/replaced. Appliances that old are throw-away so not really a factor(i.e. if they work now soon they won't and if they don't it is replacement time-exception the Cookstove).

Lew

Thanks a lot for responding Lew. You offer a fresh way of looking at things, which is great. I don't know what I'm going to do. I haven't seen or checked out either vehicle in person, as both are a long way away from where I live. I do know the 87 hasn't really been driven over the last eight years and it has been stored in the owner's garage over that time frame. Anyway, thanks again for your response.

Eli