Ok, so I drain my oil (82 sunrander), put the plug back in and it leaks out the drain plug, tried 2 more times, tried silicone, samething then I looked at the oil pan and it make with a knoch in it so the oil drains down it but the knoch goes all the way up it to the hole and thru the first 2 threds, That why it won't seal! what the deal with the oil that pan? whats the right fix? I'm going to try JB weld in the knoch.

Edited by Yostfmx

most of the toyota oil pans that used the large diameter drain plug, ( those are the older ones ) had that dimple in the pan right where the plug gasket should seal. As a toyota tech I soon learned to use silicone on the drain plug gasket, put new gasket on the drain plug, ( toyota gasket works best and use new one each time ) then run a bead of silicone around the plug on gasket, wipe oil off pan and install. Usually works.

• 2 months later...

Thanks for the info. Crapy design... I draned the oil and stuck paper towels in the hole, cleaned really good, then sanded the notch, and JB welded it (very hard to keep the oil out of it!!!). sanded it smooth and the notch is now gone! Works great now!

I tried the silicone 3 time, didn't work!?