Siding Refinish

Hello and Happy Newyear to all!

We have a 90 Toyota Gulfstream. I have replaced the genset, roof air, hot water heater, fridge, and water pump. We have really enjoyed this little motorhome and believe it or not have gone on many, many overnighters with me, my wife, 3 kids (11,8,5) and one grandpa. We have over the years learned little tricks to make this possible as well as actually enjoyable. Recently I replaced the timing belt and waterpump, and pulled the gas tank and replaced the electric fuel pump and all the hoses.

We have everything working nicely and reliably. My problem is with the exterior. Some bonehead plastered new pinstriping over the old and they are bubbling and peeling off in places - really ugly! Also it looks as if they also painted some kind of clear coat over the siding and you can actually see dried runs in places. This clear coat stuff is flaking everywhere. We get many laughs by people driving by us, but everything is working well and we have loads of fun in it. I am not much of a paint/body man so I was wondering how to go about stripping this stuff off and refinishing it. I know to have it done would be very expensive. Hope maybe someone will have some experience with this and I would be glad to lend advice on mechanical things.

Thanks,

Robert Davis

• 2 months later...