Mini Fridge Selection

jjrbus

Read JD's post on freezer to fridge and got to thinking about using mini fridge in my Toy. I would be happier with a 7 cu ft mini but looking at specs most require 5 inch of side clearance (each side?) One even says not to use in RV or with inverter. Also some say do not build in. Then some add will not work under 10° or over 85°, I do not see 10° as an issue!

Starting with an average width of 22 inch + 10, would need 32 inch's, more space than I would want to lose.

Looked at the 4 cu ft models and not much help there either, the first one I looked at wants 7 inch of side clearance.

The 6 cu ft Summit is the only one that does not list a side space only 4 inch back to wall. But does say designed for free standing.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Summit-Appliance-6-cu-ft-Mini-Refrigerator-in-White-CT70/202694633

Any thoughts on this appreciated. Jim

I had a mini fridge in my RV when I bought it. It would not run on a 400 watt continuous inverter and I did not want to have to buy a larger one. I ended up buying a 120/12 volt fridge that was removed from a sailboat. It really fills the needs for my wife and I and the style of travel that we like. If you look around, anyone will eventually find a type of unit that will work for you.

If you got something like a Norcold 120 volt/12 volt refrigerator - it too is likely running on an inverter. It just happens to be built into the back of the unit.

The Norcold units use 40 volt AC compressors so the built-in inverters don't have to do a lot of step-work to increase voltage. Just shake it back and forth and turn the DC into AC. Norcold calls their on-board inverter an "oscillator." Not saying that's what you had or have. Just a comment about some of the so-called "DC" compressor refrigerators.

A 400 watt continuous inverter is just plain too small to run any refrigerator reliably. 750 watt is the bare minimum and I would do it with no less then a 1200 watt (continuous).