82 dolphin 20'

doli lover

hello everybody,newbie here and i love this forum,great info.I just bought an 82 dolphin 20' and the previous owners swear it has only 11,000 miles on it.I payed the 25$ to reasearch it on carfacts and found it has been liscenced since 92 but nothing before that,odd,anyway i was wondering if theres anyway to confirm the mileage?Its in great shape.The plug wires are sumitomo,dont know if they are the originals.had to replace a parking light bulb and it was a toshiba bulb.anyway just thought i would throw this at you and see what happens.Randy

Hi Randy,

I'm really new here too, but have been a car collector for about 40 years. There are many ways to check the accuracy of the "newness" of a low mileage auto, not the least of which is the brake pedal. If it is an automatic, the right side of the brake pedal will be worn more than the rest of the pad. If it is a manual, the same is true, but less worn. Next, look at the driver's door striker plate and if it is 111,000 miles, it will show wear there. Then there are a load of other indications not the least of which would be the original spark plug wires. If they are original, they will "look" new, but will be very stiff and inflexible due to age alone. The wear on the driver's seat upulstery will also show wear, in it's flexiblity, and in the foam's response to pointed preasure from your finger. If the vehicle was stored inside, the foam has a lifespan of many years, but if it was subjected to sun and weather it will be in pretty bad shape response wise. Otherwise, look underneath the unit and look for worn out bushings around the front and rear suspension, steering, and so on. If you want to really know, it is almost impossible, but to "see" it all, you then can fairly well make the assumption that the speedo is telling the truth.

Next, you really have to replace all rubber parts, including the belts, hoses, spark plug wires, and probably the suspension bushings. Brakes should also be checked because of the deteriation of the brake cylinders from lack of use.

These are my thoughts from years of taking the gamble you just took, so take my words for what they are and if you find them helpful, all the better. I think from what you say, you probably found a diamond in the rough, so enjoy, but make sure maintence is done before going on any long jaunts. :ThumbUp:

Tim.

Thanks Tim,good advice.I went out and checked the door strikerand it looks like new,a couple of black spots on it from graphite lube looks like.I also checked the radiator hoses,feels like a rough spot on underside of the top hose so ill replace the hose's and what ever else I see that's iffy.Thanks again.PS when I got the title, under make of m/h was spelt DOLI, so I named her doli,HAPPY NEW YEAR, Randy

Randy,

Happy New Year to you also.

I forgot to tell you that one of the most important things to "refurbish" on a very low mileage unit such as yours, is to make sure you either drop the fuel tank, and clean it out, or else use a high quality cleaner which will also clean the fuel line. However if there is a fuel filter in-line, make sure you trash that one. "Stale" fuel systems can do a great deal of damage to the cylinders if you just fill it and go.

Sorry I forgot that one on the first post, because it is probably one of the most important things when you are fortunate enough to find a true low mileage unit.

I see your new year will now start off with loads of fun in a truly "new" motorhome. Good luck and enjoy!

Tim.

thanks Tim,I bought the m/h from a person in seattle,i live in port angeles on the olympic penninsula.He bought it from a relative who lives in eastern washington whos had it since 92.The guy i bought it from and the previous owner have used it a little.The previous owner in eastern wa. thought the odometer read 30,000 when he bought it but looked closer and said 3,000 so its had 8,000 miles put on it since 92.It has the rear axle conversion that i learned about on this forum,thank goodness,so it has had some recent use and tlc.I noticed its got new tires and a new muffler and tailpipe but even it sat for years i would think the moistier in the muffler would rust it out,not sure about that but it makes sense.anyway i'm giong to check the plugs to see if they are ok and original and take it in for an lube job even though the oil looks clean.I just cant figure out why it sat for 10 years with no record of it being liscenced.oh well,thats going to have to be a secret.Thanks again/Randy