Floor plans

MikeS

Does the bathroom/shower in the back put more weight behind the axle than having the sink/stove back there?

There seems to be two main floorplans. Does anyone have any thoughts on which one is better and why?

I don't think that there is such a thing as better.

It is all personal preference. What fits what you want/need

I prefer the short (17' or 18') models but this is my preference.

If one floor plan puts more weight behind the rear axle than the other one, then handling would be affected.

I suppose the stove/sink set up in the back would weigh about the same as the toilet/shower setup, although just guessing it seems the toilet/shower would weigh more.

If one floor plan puts more weight behind the rear axle than the other one, then handling would be affected.

I suppose the stove/sink set up in the back would weigh about the same as the toilet/shower setup, although just guessing it seems the toilet/shower would weigh more.

There are 21' models that are rear dinette with the kitchen and bath in the center and the bed behind the axle. Almost all short models (17'-18') are rear dinette.

Both the RK and RB models have the Wastewater Tank/s behind the rear axle. With this setup you will sure notice handling/driveability changes as you accumulate Wastewater. Because the Freshwater Tank is well forward of the rear axle this affect is magnified. That is, the shift of some 190Lb (24Gal of Water) from a point about halfway between the two axles to a point centered about 30" behind the rear axle really makes the front end light and steering likewise.

The MB floorplans have the opposite situation, what with the Freshwater Tank behind the rear axle and the Wastewater Tank/s about midway between the two axles.

I find that dynamic weight issues (where the water is and how much Junk you load in/on and where you put it) are much more significant problems than is the as-built weight distribution.

As to which is better, we have an '82 21Ft Dolphin with Rear Kitchen and an '86 21Ft Dolphin with a Rear Bath and can say that, of course, there are advantages to both. The RK wastes less floorspace on the bathroom while the RB has a better Kitchen/Dining layout but in the end both work well for us. Neither of us like the Mid Bath (or maybe Front Bath is more accurate in this size coach) plan as it has a closed-in feeling and with the Bed made up there is no table (both our Dolphins came with the small-table-w/barrel-chairs-opposite-the-couch/gaucho setup).

Lew