Do Toyota Motorhomes Leak?

Beach Boy

I have a 36' Allegro motorhome that I have stored near the Gulf coast. It is stored near where we camp because of the gas mileage and poor drivability. I have been thinking of getting something smaller to camp near home and maybe do some traveling. A neighbor had a Toyota motorhome. I thought it was the neatest thing. So I am doing some research on Toyota motorhomes.

I was checking eBay in regards to the prices of Toyota motorhomes. I found a post for a Sunrader. The seller stated that the Sunrader has a camper portion that is made of a fiberglass shell which does not have the seams like all other types of Toyota motorhomes. He further stated that these vehicles (Sunraders) do not have the leaking problems as other Toyota motorhomes have.

My question is do Toyota motorhomes other than the Sunrader have a leaking problem?

I will probably take a few arrows from the Sunrader owners, but here goes, all

motorhomes can leak if they are not maintained, even Sunraders. About the only

leak related benefit that I can see from having a Sunrader motorhome is four less

seams to worry about, these are the seams that a regular motorhome roof would

have, front, back, left side, and right side, areas that water does not pool in.

At least from my experience, these four seams are not the ones that are the usually

the problem for leaks, the majority (if not all) leaks occur around the windows and the

roof vents. A Sunrader motorhome has the same number and types of windows and

roof vents, so from an average number of leaks possible, there probably is no real

staticial advantage to owning a Sunrader to avoid the average leak.

My Toyota Odyssey motorhome has a one piece aluminun roof, very low maintenance,

I just need to be sure my roof vents and my edge coverings are in tack/sealed.

Also, I have no fear of walking on my roof, which might not be the best thing to do if

you owned a Sunrader, walking on a 20 year old fiberglass roof could lead to some

fiberglass repair, especially in colder weather.

I like the way the Sunraders look, but cannot see any real advantages with them, possibly

some disadvantages.

Hope this helps,

Dennis...

I agree with Dennis, any Rv can leak hehe....

I have an early 80's SunRader and I have three new leaks That I found recently in this last rainstorm!.

mayhap the owners before me just didnt properly maintain it.

I am in the process of trying to figure out where the leaks are coming from and too then re seal all the Seams on the RV.

luckily the leaks are around the Windows and not anywhere too critical..

hope you get your leaks fixed up as well

-=^..^=-

I agree with Dennis, any Rv can leak hehe....

I have an early 80's SunRader and I have three new leaks That I found recently in this last rainstorm!.

mayhap the owners before me just didnt properly maintain it.

I am in the process of trying to figure out where the leaks are coming from and too then re seal all the Seams on the RV.

luckily the leaks are around the Windows and not anywhere too critical..

hope you get your leaks fixed up as well

-=^..^=-

Window leaks are repaired the same on all RVs. Remove the window, replace the butyl tape/caulk and reinstall the window. This needs to be done about every 6 or so years it seems.

If it is your front plexiglas windows that are leaking you can remove the window and replace the rubber gasket material then reinstall the plexiglas windows.

http://www.toymike.com/sunrader/pics/plexi2.jpg

Window leaks are repaired the same on all RVs. Remove the window, replace the butyl tape/caulk and reinstall the window. This needs to be done about every 6 or so years it seems.

If it is your front plexiglas windows that are leaking you can remove the window and replace the rubber gasket material then reinstall the plexiglas windows.

http://www.toymike.com/sunrader/pics/plexi2.jpg

Your sunrader there looks beautiful.

Im definitly going too have too pull out the windows to reseal them..

Im just a little bit scared that im going to break the windows pulling them out.

This is really my first RV/Camper and I live in it so I dont really want too be without a window somewhere if it breaks.

Do you know of any site with step by step instructions on how to do this?

or mayhap know someone in CA that I might be able to trade/bargin with to help me with this process?

I so wish I had one of thoes scaffolds in your photo.

That would make repainting this Black Beast a way easier job as well!!!!

Thanks for the info!

-=^..^=-

Your sunrader there looks beautiful.

Im definitly going too have too pull out the windows to reseal them..

Im just a little bit scared that im going to break the windows pulling them out.

This is really my first RV/Camper and I live in it so I dont really want too be without a window somewhere if it breaks.

Do you know of any site with step by step instructions on how to do this?

or mayhap know someone in CA that I might be able to trade/bargin with to help me with this process?

I so wish I had one of thoes scaffolds in your photo.

That would make repainting this Black Beast a way easier job as well!!!!

Thanks for the info!

-=^..^=-

Take a look at the inside of your metal frame windows (everyone except the wrap around front ones). You will find an inner frame with screws that go through to the outer frame. All you need to do is remove the screws around the inner frame and push the window out. It would be a good idea to have someone standing on the outside to make sure that the window does not fall to the ground once it breaks loose from the old putty tape. You may need to use a pry tool such as a painters 5 in 1 and a small molding pry bar to get the window started out of the coach but I have seen them fall on their own if the putty tape is old.

Once you have the window out, clean off all of the old butyl putty tape and put a new strip all around the outer window frame. Have someone hold it in place while you set the inner frame and center the window. Replace the screws and you are done. You will need to tighten them enough so that you get a squeeze of butyl caulk coming out around the outer frame.

Butyl putty tape caulk comes in long rolls and can be found at all RV places.

Don't use any form of tub caulk such as silicone or painters caulk as it will be almost imposable to remove the windows the next time they start to leak in a few years.

Take one window at a time and you may want to start with the smallest window first so that you can get the idea of what is going on before you tackle the big one in the back.

Take a look at the inside of your metal frame windows (everyone except the wrap around front ones). You will find an inner frame with screws that go through to the outer frame. All you need to do is remove the screws around the inner frame and push the window out. It would be a good idea to have someone standing on the outside to make sure that the window does not fall to the ground once it breaks loose from the old putty tape. You may need to use a pry tool such as a painters 5 in 1 and a small molding pry bar to get the window started out of the coach but I have seen them fall on their own if the putty tape is old.

Once you have the window out, clean off all of the old butyl putty tape and put a new strip all around the outer window frame. Have someone hold it in place while you set the inner frame and center the window. Replace the screws and you are done. You will need to tighten them enough so that you get a squeeze of butyl caulk coming out around the outer frame.

Butyl putty tape caulk comes in long rolls and can be found at all RV places.

Don't use any form of tub caulk such as silicone or painters caulk as it will be almost imposable to remove the windows the next time they start to leak in a few years.

Take one window at a time and you may want to start with the smallest window first so that you can get the idea of what is going on before you tackle the big one in the back.

Nice rig for sure, looks very clean. I need to replace the seal on my upper plexiglass windows, and may even replace the plexiglas because they are chalky white now and I can't polish them back to black. Kinda like hard water staining. Also my seals have bowed out so the thing has kind of an over bite look to it, I am scared to do anything as it may not go back together. I have toyed with the idea of just filling that space with fiber glass and having no front windows.

post-1272-1199070303_thumb.jpg

Nice rig for sure, looks very clean. I need to replace the seal on my upper plexiglass windows, and may even replace the plexiglas because they are chalky white now and I can't polish them back to black. Kinda like hard water staining. Also my seals have bowed out so the thing has kind of an over bite look to it, I am scared to do anything as it may not go back together. I have toyed with the idea of just filling that space with fiber glass and having no front windows.

I used Meguiars Plastx to get mine back to new.

http://www.meguiars.com/?boat-plastic-care...-Cleaner-Polish

Takes a LOT of elbow grease but it even removes road pitting if you work long enough.

I went over them 5 times to get everything removed. They are squeaky clean now

You can see the damage in this pic

http://www.toymike.com/sunrader/pics/plexi4.jpg

I just put a sheet down over the hood and worked until everything came up clear and shiny

http://www.toymike.com/sunrader/pics/plexi6.jpg