Uncooperative Furnace

My furnace worked for a while late last winter and early spring. Then it stopped. The pilot light works, and when I turn the thermostat up, the fan goes on. But the furnace burner won't ignite. It's getting chilly now, so I wonder if anyone has any suggestions. My camper is an '85 New Horizons; the furnace is a DuoTherm 66100 series. Thanks!

My furnace worked for a while late last winter and early spring. Then it stopped. The pilot light works, and when I turn the thermostat up, the fan goes on. But the furnace burner won't ignite. It's getting chilly now, so I wonder if anyone has any suggestions. My camper is an '85 New Horizons; the furnace is a DuoTherm 66100 series. Thanks!

It's likely it needs a new control board. Remote possibility of a sail-switch problem (but I doubt it). When you turn on or up the thermostat - the blower is supposed to come on, then the wind from the blower pushes on the sail-switch -and then the control board sends a signal to turn on the gas valve. Dinosaur makes better-then-original replacement boards.

http://www.dinosaurelectronics.com/furnace_mods.htm

Check your furnace intake and exhaust vent for mud dauber nest buildup. My furnace would not work properly until I checked the vent. I found the mud dauber nest about 6 inches inside the pipe.

I put a wire screen cover over the vent to avoid the same problem in the future.

• 2 weeks later...

Will the pilot light ignite then go out or not stay lit? I've had a bad thermocouple cause all manner of furnace oddness in the past.

BUT, I'm brand new to RV stuff so not sure the furnace works like my old residential furnace...