82 sunrader 18' towing a car?

Yostfmx

So I'm going to be buying a 1982 18' (4x4 size) Sunrader with 109 ori. miles, can I tow a Geo Metro with it? The car is 1600 LBS. plus I'm going to take the sets out and lighten it up some more 1300 LBS mabey. Has anyone done this? Oh and a plan on puting my dirt bike on the back a DRZ 400s, 270 LBS. Is this going to work?

Howdy Yostfmx...

In a word... No.You only have a four cylinder engine. Your rig weighs around 2 1/2 tons. You will be adding another ton to the mix. Even with four wheel drive, it will be gasping for breath at 50 miles per hour on the flat. Going up a hill.... man, you don't want to go there!-

The thing to remember is , as I recall, you do not have a dual rear axle on that model. Dual rear axles are full floating with very strong rear axle bearings to carry the extra weight of a motorhome. The single tire rear axle, the pickup type, is maxed out with the 18 footer. Don't give yourself a lot of repairs by overloading the little guy.

Thanks so much man,

It just past smog :ThumbUp: with 130,000 miles, pickin up tomorrow for $2000. He said that he broke the axle on it and had it fixed. He told me that the shaft snaped inside they replaced it, so I'm thinging its the stock recalled one still just newer. Its the 5 bolt, not 6. But under normal use it should hold, I hope... :weight_lift: < (is this your toyota holding up the motorhome/axle haha...)

Sounds like you got yourself a deal. Looks good . I have seen a few of these around and they look very size friendly. Except for the height, same size as a normal size pickup. I would keep my eyes peeled for a good used dually axle assembly. I have seen U-haul vans built on the same vehicle chassis, if you have a chance to grab one for a donor vehicle. Good luck with the rig, enjoy it, maybe down the road a piece we'll meet up. First rounds on me.

Haha ya, looks good from the outside but inside haha... its roached! soooo beat, but thats what I wanted cause i'm gutting it. So it was far price but good deal for me. Runs good, fiberglass shell good. Haha ya its small but felt big to me as a first timer motorhome owner/driver. Haha from a geo metro (almost a go cart) to the sunrader...

Yea, I'll look for an axle if its not too much, hear there around $700 used. Looks hard to do too.