Sunrader Questions

Diesel_Aggie

I'm considering purchasing the '84 Sunrader listed below:

http://austin.craigslist.org/rvs/503288489.html

I'm curious what kinds of damage the leakage from "motor home has a one piece fiber glass shell but could use a seal job around vents and windows" may have caused. I've recently sold a 33' 5th wheel and dealt with leaky roof/repair issues and it was not fun. The fiberglass clamshell is a big selling point on the Sunrader for this reason. Will this delaminate like a regular fiberglass RV? If water does get in by a window I'd assume it runs down the walls to rot out the floor? I looked at the contruction pic in the brochure. If water was running down the walls I'd think the foam would eventually dry out with little damage.

I've read the axle FAQ. What is the cost/availablity of upgrading to the full floating 6-lug rear end? I can do the labor myself. Had the misfortune of breaking an axle in the DRW F-350 with 5th wheel attached earlier in the year. Sure glad it was a full floater!

I see several posts about the floor weakening with age. I also see posts about pulling the whole box off and dropping it on a 4x4 chassis. What is involved in moving the box and with it off could you possibly fix the floor without removing the whole interior?

I see varying thoughts on if the roof on this vintage would support a roof A/C. Has anyone successfully solved this issue? If I read the brochure correctly all Sunraders were pre-wired for A/C and generator?

I'm assuming a 4-speed manual to 5-speed manual swap is pretty simple. Did some searching but could not find out about this for sure. Guessing the worst case might me relocating the trans crossmember and shortening the driveshaft? Can't be that hard since it was a factory option for the chassis.

Will an Onan Microlite fit in the Sunraders?

The brocure states "marine toilet". Does this mean a normal Thetford RV toilet would not fit?

Can anyone offer advice/data on how the tanks are installed? Are the insulated or enclosed? Would it be easy to install the stick on tank heaters? My 5th wheel had insulated and heated tanks with a heated basement. The only problem I had in weather in the upper teens was the water hose freezing. Easily solved by a heated hose or keeping water in the fresh water tank.

Thanks to anyone who can offer help/advice. I've looked at the Toyota RVs several times over the years and think it might be something I can actually afford to travel in with fuel prices!

Leakage = who knows? Depends on how much occurred and where. It shouldn't delaminate like bonded fiberglass stick built coaches and you may not visually observe water stains inside. I'd check the floor for damage. 6 bolt axle = It's doable if you can find a used axle. Try Ebay and used Toyota parts sights on the web for price. I imagine you could lift off the coach but be careful....4X4's are not usually 21 feet in length so if you're looking at that length it may not fit on the 4X4 chassis. AC = newer Sunraders have additional roof supports. My '86 does not and the roof is still sound. Just be sure not to add too heavy a unit. One with 8500 BTU's is usually adequate. One member added supports...use "search" to find the description. Don't know about adding 5 speed trans. I don't think the Onan Microlite would fit in my generator compartment....have a 1800W Coleman now which fits. Thetford toilets are referred to as 'marine toilets' that's probably what's installed. The H2O tank is inside. The two holding tanks are outside and not insulated. Insulating them would be quite a job. GOOD LUCK ! Sunraders are GREAT!