Small---Big---Small ?

hattie

In 2000, I retired and we, my Wife & I, bought a 1985 New Horizon, fully equipped with Roof Air & 3.3kw Onan. .In the following 6 1/2 months, we covered 22 thousand miles, from Southern California to Nova Scotia and back..Spacewise it was adaquite for 2 adults, 2 Cats ,& our pet Possum.. This gave us an insight as to what we wanted in a M/H, or so we thought..

So, the Toyota went on the block, and was replaced by a Bluebird Wanderlodge.. Great--Lots of interior room, and all sorts of extras.. We towed our Jeep and sometimes stayed a week or two at the KOAs. Actually, we found we were restricted on where we could go and some camping spots were no accessable.. Also,, my Wife could not drive it, and now, with $3 gas & 5 mpg it is not really apealing. So now, the Bluebird is for sale, and in looking at the Toyotas, we have decided on a Sunrader, with the V6 if possible. We want a rear Dinette/Bed arrangment. Any suggestions on this?

Any comments on this, or where we can find one?

If I got a very light Toad, Suzuki or Saburu Brat, would the V6 pull that, even slowing on the hills?

Our 85 with the 22R engine, gas mileage never got out of the 12mpg range.. Do the newer ones really get 18 to 20, as some owners claim, or is this a bit of a strech?

Jack Smith

SoCal

Edited by hattie

Well I have only had mine for about 2 months, but I have calculated mileage at or near 16 MPG ( I know this is acurate, I had no fuel gauge at the time, so I had to be acurate or run out of gas ha ha). That was driving on the highway. I have since tuned it up, I will track my mileage on my trip to California next weekend and let you know what I averaged. I have an '87 Sunrader with 22r-e EFI. Hope you find a good one for sale...good luck!

I have a 1990 Odyssey 21 footer with a V6 and automatic and I get 14-15mpg on the

highway doing 55mph, and 12-13mpg doing 60-65mph. A manual transmission should

get you 1 or 2 mpg more, and a little better performance.

Regarding towing a small car behind a Toyota motorhome, no, they are not design to tow,

I believe you will end up with engine, transmission, and suspension problems, and your

performance will be highly undesireable (under 10mpg and probably under 50mph).

Also, the Toyota braking system is not designed to handle that much weight.

Dennis...

If I got a very light Toad, Suzuki or Saburu Brat, would the V6 pull that, even slowing on the hills?

You are kidding, right?? Towing capacity = (0). Check the Owner's Manual.

Our 85 with the 22R engine, gas mileage never got out of the 12mpg range.. Do the newer ones really get 18 to 20, as some owners claim, or is this a bit of a strech?

Jack Smith

SoCal

You are kidding, right?? It is Sooo a Stretch. V6 just about 12MPG. Our '86 22RE A43D acheived 13.9MPG for the 10,000Mi of Summer "07.

Lew

Jack - I can't comment on the towing capacity of the V6 Sunrader, but we have a 1982 18 foot Sunrader with the R22 engine and have always gotten above 18 MPG average on extended trips. We calculate this figure over the entire mileage of an extended trip. I have talked with many Sunrader owners with V6 engines and they have said they get around 15MPG. I talked with a guy who had a slide-in overcab camper on a Toyota pickup with a V6 and he claimed a good solid 14 MPG.

Bill