I will be looking at Chinook with 22re swapped into. I know that original was 20r.

I want to know how much more power I'm going to have and what about MPG compared to 20r.

is it better to find one with original motor?

This will be my first chinook first camper.

I will be looking at Chinook with 22re swapped into. I know that original was 20r.

I want to know how much more power I'm going to have and what about MPG compared to 20r.

is it better to find one with original motor?

This will be my first chinook first camper.

Fuel mileage for bare trucks were basically the same - between a 1978 with a 20R and a 1982 and up with a 22RE. No reason to expect the MPGs will be any different with a Chinook body on the truck either. The 22RE has around 10 more max horsepower and 15 more foot-pounds of max torque. So it's likely you'd find yourself climbing hills faster and subsequently, using a little more gas then with a 20R. Sounds like a nice swap. The 20R in some ways is a better engine but both are very rugged - so who the heck cares? Your Chinook would likely benefit greatly from a 5 speed trans with OD.

The Chinook are fun little RVs. Much handier then my "big" 1988, 20 foot Minicruiser. I've got duallies and a FF rear on my 1978 Chinook, and sometimes I wish I'd just left it alone as it left the factory. The original semi-floater rear is more than adequate as long as you don't let the wheel bearings go bad. I mainly installed mine, along with a rear stabilizer bar - to see if it would handle better in strong winds. NOPE.

One word of warning - fresh in my memory. Yesterday I was driving my Chinook around 50 MPH and it sounded funny. I looked back and found my "pop-top" had popped open all the way ! I'm lucky it did not blow off (which has happened to others). MAKE sure you have locks and they are fastened when driving.

How is the cardboard/honeycomb floor? Still flat with no rot or slumping on the outer sides?