80S Nissan/datsun Ignition Failure Problems

zero

I just got an education on fixing a 1984 Datsun/Nissan motorhome with intermittent ignition problems. Has the Z24, 2.4 liter four-cylinder engine. 80K original miles. Last owner has a problem with the RV cutting out once hot. From a cold start - it would run fine for maybe 15 minutes and then start to sputter a bit and then die. Once it cooled for maybe 10 minutes it would run again, and then die again.

The old guy that owned it (before me) took it to a local dealership shop first. He was given a price of $600 to fix it and was told he needed a new distributor. He then took it to a small shop and pretty much got the same story - except the small shop added that there would be NO guarantees after the repair.

So I bought it as-is. I've worked as a mechanic most of my life but have near zero experience with Datsuns of this vintage. So I first did some initial inspections. I drove it until it quit and discovered it was still getting fuel - so I now knew it was NOT a fuel pump or relay issue. Ignition issue for sure. I drove down to that small shop who had given the old guy an estimate and asked a few questions. T he guy that runs the shop claims to be a former Nissan mechanic. He told me that Nissans/Datsuns during the 80s were prone to this problem. He told me it needs a new distributor and there is no other way to fix it. I asked him which part of the distributor was failing and got no answer. He claimed it did not matter since no small parts are available anyway.

Long story short - seems he was correct about a well-known problem (at the time). He was wrong about there being "no parts" available. Unlike Toyotas that have the ignition module mounted as a stand-alone device mounted on the inner fenderwell - Datsun has it mounted inside the distributor. New unit was $106. As opposed to a so-called "rebuilt" distributor for $100 to $300 depending where you buy. My main concern with a "rebuilt" distributor is that it comes with a used module and NOT a new one.

So - I put the new module in. Runs fine now. I will say this. Had I known what I was doing - it would of been a one-hour job. Took me half a day instead. Nissan has the most convoluted ignition system I've ever seen in an older truck. Two spark plugs for each cylinder, two ignition coils (one for intake and one for exhaust), etc. I have the Nissan factory shop manual and it was basically useless in giving me info on where all the damn plug wires go. Distributor cap has 10 wires attached to it. I've yet to find anything in the service manual that tells me which coil is the "intake" and which one is for the "exhaust." I had to go on-line and find photos of another Z24 engine and just copy what I saw.

To change the module - no need to remove the distributor. Just remove the rotor (held on by one hidden bolt). Then I used a battery-terminal puller to remove the little four-sided ignition trigger wheel. I had to put a dime under the stem of the puller to protect the distributor shaft. After that - two screws and the module pops right out.

If anybody here owns a Nissan like this - I suggest you carry a spare module. I have a spare for my Toyota although it seems the Toyotas are not known for having failed "ignitor" modules

post-6578-0-54518300-1431712398_thumb.jp

post-6578-0-02321200-1431712400_thumb.jp

post-6578-0-04772700-1431712402_thumb.jp

post-6578-0-36035400-1431712403_thumb.jp

post-6578-0-67961600-1431712404_thumb.jp

Believe it or not - I started with a penny but it was too thick. My little puller had run out of reach and I was just able to squeeze the thinner dime in there. Not exacty a tool designed for this job.

I have to figure the battery puller was put into use because the jaws of a regular gear puller was too fat to get under. Before changing into electronics, I started out doing a year in the auto mechanical program in trade school. As my career moved forward I got more and more away from doing my own work as I bought new cars and had them serviced at the dealer. That is till my kids got to driving age and my in-laws arrived in this country. Now I get asked to at least look at what ever problem they are having. My little garage here is well equipped and even heated. I still enjoy the work to a point.

What amazes me is how much information one can find online. When ever I encounter a problem I'm not familiar with, I bust out the google-fu on the computer. I had to replace the starter on my daughter's jeep some time back. The exhaust pipe was in the way and wasn't going to be able to squeeze the old starter out and certainly not be able to get the new one in. A 5 minute search netted me a post where a guy said to just remove the 4 long machine screws that holds the starter together separating the starter in 3 smaller parts. 5 minutes later I'm under the jeep with both starters apart. 15 minute later I got the starter in without having to drop the exhaust.

There is a depth of expertise in this forum that I've so much respect and appreciation for. I joined but didn't post for quite some time. I lurked and did tons of searches and found so many answers to just about every problem I encountered while I worked at re-building my RV. I eventually decided I should probably contribute to the community. I am only slightly expert at one 87 Itasca but certainly have observations and opinions.