I have an '83 18' Toyota Sunrader - the roof ladder was recently damaged to the point it is not useable and I used it all the time to put on the cover, clean the roof, etc. I've worked really hard the past two years on fixing-up "Buttercup" and my goal is to have everything repaired and working. My questions are: 1. Where can I find another ladder? and 2. What is the best way to remove it and install a new one? Thanks so much.

It would not surprise me if you found a used one from someone in the group.

My Sunrader ladder is installed with pull rivets. So basically just drill off the rivet head from the outside then use the appropriate diameter pin punch to knock the shaft of the rivet on through to the inside of the vehicle. That will clear the way for a new pop rivet to be installed. Be gentle with the pin punch, it is easy to crack fiberglass. At the bottom of the ladder the old rivets will just fall out into the interior space. At the upper end you can push them on into the 5/8" thick foam panel insulation and then they won't be in the way of new rivets going in.

That being said I don't like the fact that there was never a backing plate installed on the inside of the vehicle to transfer the load and help reduce the chance of the rivet pulling through the fiberglass shell under stress. I know one reason it was not done at the lower edge, those rivets landed on a curved surface where the shell takes a direction change to curve underneath.

I have an '83 18' Toyota Sunrader - the roof ladder was recently damaged to the point it is not useable and I used it all the time to put on the cover, clean the roof, etc. I've worked really hard the past two years on fixing-up "Buttercup" and my goal is to have everything repaired and working. My questions are: 1. Where can I find another ladder? and 2. What is the best way to remove it and install a new one? Thanks so much.

Universal-fit RV ladders are for sale at many RV places and Ebay. Usually around $100. I've got a brand-new one here still in the box I'd sell for $50 but shipping would bring the price back up to near what the RV places charge. That is, unless you're driving around in central NY near Oneonta and Cooperstown. I just got to NY yesterday and will be spending a month clearing out all my stuff including many old RVs and parts. That is, if the snow ever melts.

One thing I do not like about typical ladder mounts on Toyota RVs is the lack of support on the bottom. Just two mounts screwed into a thin wall. I usually remove the screws, drill all the way through, and install with stainless-steel machine screws and locknuts. Also, where area mid-way up where the stand-offs touch is usually a weak spot that cracks the OD of the RV wall. I install a piece of diamond-plate aluminum behind it for added protection. If you really want a rugged setup - rebuild your back bumper so it offers a step-on platform and bottom support for the ladder. Here's how I did it on my 1988 Minicruiser.

post-6578-0-95621600-1428063828_thumb.jp

post-6578-0-78229200-1428063909_thumb.jp

post-6578-0-11319400-1428063911_thumb.jp

Thank you both for all the great information and advice. Now I know what to do when I find a replacement ladder. This was my first time using this site. It's nice to know there are experienced Sunrader owners who are willing to share their expertise. Thank you again.

To jdemaris: Hope it warms up for you - I live in California so it would be quite a drive but we could certainly use a bit of that melted snow. I think your step/support platform was a great idea.