Been Busy With 1986 Dolphin

I bought my Dolphin (first RV) about 5 years ago and have put 35k miles on it with mostly weekend trips to the beach and such. I am in this thing a LOT. When I bought it, the vehicle was practically new. Less than 20k miles and the interior looked and smelled new. Since I did not know what I was doing, I decided to put an Onan 3k generator in the thing so that I might run the AC on the road... Ah such a big mistake....

I read somewhere on this forum that I should not be afraid to customize my Dolphin (even though it was pretty pristine) and after spending years doing lots and lots of trips in her, I have learned that, for me, less is more... And I have also learned that for my truck, less is more too. My truck has the 22re 4 cyl eng and 3 speed auto transmission. With the AC and generator on it, I was getting around 12-16 mpg on road trips around here. I pulled around 14 mpg on the trip to the beach (over the coastal range). To say that the truck was under powered would be giving it too much credit. The transmission also never seemed to know what gear to be in.

Anyway, this past year, I started to customize. I started with getting all the windows resealed, the inside painted and the cushions all done in this very tough (water proof) black fabric. I am a huge outdoor nut and fish, swim, kayak and bike when I am on the road. Dirty is what I get most of the time. The new fabric is much easier to keep clean and the brighter walls and plain (not patterned) fabric gave the cab a nice clean look. I also took out the jack-knife sofa and had a lift top board put in it's place so I can easily access all the stuff under it for repair. I use this to either store my bikes or other stuff OR, I have another cushion that turns it into a lounge or bed. I have slept on it and like it just fine. The sofa was pretty heavy so that lightened it up a a lot.

Just last month, I had the AC taken out, the heater taken out and the generator taken out. In place of the generator, I have installed a solar panel and another battery with an 800 watt inverter. In place of the heater, I now use a ventless propane heater. I never used the AC so have no plans for it. I also had a solid fiberglass roof put on with tie downs all along the side so I can put things up there. The AC had literally caved in the roof, so I had to have it completely rebuilt anyway so I went all out. I could now put 1000lbs up there it is so strong.

This weekend I took her for a test drive and the difference in the way she drove and gas mileage was not even to be believed. I got 20 mpg over the coast range!!!! I could easily pull 60 mph up the hills that used to slow me down to 45 mph. The transmission did not struggle with gears at all. I never had to have the pedal to the floor. It was brilliant. I am kicking myself in the butt for buying that expensive Onan generator and more so, I am mad at the dealer for recommending it. Getting rid of it and the AC made my RV awesome. I will not be afraid to tackle the mountains anymore. Furthermore, the quiet heater and endless battery (without the noisy generator or expense of gas) make me very happy.

I retire in about 4 years, and my goal is to spend about 2 years in this RV on the road.

20 MPG if stated as an average, and not "one time high" in a non-pop-pup 21 footer wtih a 2.4 and auto trans defies reason. Even the 16 footers with manual trans. could not do that good. How are you checking?

Your only talking about a max of maybe 500# or around 8% of the total weight. The change in performance is often referred to as a "butt dino" with no real figures. You should be able to sell your parts though for a good price they will fit in just about any RV.

I fill up on the way to the beach at the same place and then again when I come back at that same station and have been doing this for years. I got a 4 mpg increase in efficiency. The biggest factor seems to be that the transmission ran without shifting all over the place. Perhaps the 500 lbs was the tipping point for the tranny to stay in overdrive more often on a grade. The coastal route that i take is more hilly than steep mountains. It used to drive me nuts how it flipped between gears all the time and/or stayed high rev and lower gear. Now it drives much more like a car with smooth shifting and rarely shifting.

The point is that this thing drives completely differently than it ever did. So much so that I am completely angry with myself for not realizing this before. I would say that the couch (that sucker is really heavy) the AC and the generator could be 500 lbs. But I also had the entire roof taken off and replaced with lighter and stronger material as well as gave it an arch. If you think about it, 500 lbs is a huge amount of weight to put into a 4 cyl car so why would this also not have a big impact? Also keep in mind that the AC unit is no longer up there producing drag on the drive. I have a much more aerodynamic roof line with my roof actually arching upward (like a beetle) slightly now.

And yes, I have sold/am selling the parts. The generator is the most expensive item and hasn't sold yet but I expect it will go at the upcoming RV show.

Oh and btw: My vehicle now easily drives 70 mph on the hwy (even on a slight grade). I have never been able to do 70 mph before without being on a down grade. LOL! I was too scared to go past that speed so do not know how fast it would have gone but my pedal was not on the floor.

Edited by kfisherx

If you think about it, 500 lbs is a huge amount of weight to put into a 4 cyl car so why would this also not have a big impact?

500lbs. CAN have a huge impact on handling, acceleration, etc. Not going make much difference in overall highway fuel mileage though. In a Toyota RV that is more a product of wind-resistance.

If you have a rig that can now average 20MPG - it's doing better then the 2.2 liter Toyota Chinooks with low "pop-up" roofs and a lot less weight. In my opinion, a 20 MPG defies reason - or something.

Besides never gotten any MPGs with any of the small RVs I've driven at 55-60 MPH. there's not a road-test I've seen yet that comes close. Here are a few done when these RVs were new.

1981 Datsun with 2.2 diesel, 5 speed man. trans., empty and pulling small RV trailer.

Trailer is Boler Voyageur 1300, 1240 lbs.

SD22 diesel engine – 132 c.i., 2.16 liters, 61 HP @ 4000 RPM, 102 lbs. TQ @ 1800 RPM.

Empty: 0-20 MPH = 4 seconds, 20-40 MPH = 6 seconds, 40-60 MPH = 10 seconds

20-40 MPH = 6 seconds, 40-60 MPH = 10 seconds

Half-city, half-highway fuel mileage – 33 MPG

With Boler trailer = 24 MPG (Trailer Life 8/81)

1981 Toyota. 2.4 liter, four speed manual trans.

5th wheel trailer – Lance 1881. 2790 lbs.

18’ 10” long, 6’ 10” wide, 8’ 3” high

Fuel mileage towing trailer: 16.4 MPG

Fuel mileage empty: 22.2 MPG (Trailer Life 8/81)

1979 Toyota Chinook Eagle (low but fixed roof). 2.2 engine, 4 speed manual trans.

5 G water, 2.5 cube ice-box, 42” X 72” bed

14.5 MPG average 17’3” long bumper-bumper, 6’ 6” wide, 4’ 5” headroom

(Woodalls Trailer & RV Travel 10/79)

1977 Dolphin RV on Toyota chassis. 16’ 4” long.

6’ 4” wide, headroom – 5’ 10”, 4.11 to 1 axle-ratio

2189 cc engine. 4 speed manual trans.

3600 lbs. wet (not passengers), 8’ 4” high

Rear axle = 1970 lbs., front axle = 1630 lbs. (wet, no passengers)

15 G water, 15 G waster, 5 G propane, 10K BTU heat, 2.5 frig

7.50-14” front tires, rear L60-14”, 10” wide

0-60 MPH = 37 seconds, 40-60 MPH = 19 seconds

Combo of city and mountain driving – 13.8 MPG

Combo of city and freeway driving – 14.2 MPG

All highway driving – 15.1 MPG (Trailer Life 8/77)

1979 Odyssey 19’ on Toyota

2.2 engine, 4 speed manual trans.

4.11 rear axle, 7.50-14” tires, duals in rear

Wet weight – 4,470 lbs. (no gear or passengers)

Weight on rear axle – 2,925 lbs., front-axle – 1,545 lbs.

19’ 9” long, 6’ 8” wide, 92” high plus 11” for ladder

26 G water, 20 G waste, 5 G propane, 12K BTU heat, 4 cube refrig

Test done @ 55 MPH, flat, 17 foot altitude

0-60 MPH- 32 seconds, 40-60 MPH – 19 seconds

Fuel mileage: 13.2 MPG to 16.6 MPG (Trailer Life 2/79)

1979 Mirage on Toyota 17.5’ long, 8’ 6” high

2.2 engine, 4 speed trans

7.50 – 14” front tires, rear –Dragmaster L60-14”, 10” wide

Wet weight (no passengers) – 3,900 lbs., loaded – 4,441 lbs.

3 cube refrig., 3 burner cooktop/oven, 10K BTU furnace,

15 G water tank, 6 gallon water-heater, 5 G propane,

15G gray water tank, 13 G sewage tank

11.2 MPG low, 15.1 MPG average

(Trailer Life 1/79)

1978 Bonanza Bandit (I,II, or van), first shown 12/77

Toyota chassis, 2.2 engine. 4 speed manual trans.

74” headroom with top up, 207” long by 78” wide

22” X 35.5” bathroom,

2.4 cube refrig, 2 burner cooktop, 5 G water, 6K BTU furnace

Converter, aux battery (Trailer Life 1/78)

More info 11/78 Woodalls Trailer & RV Travel

E.P.A. rated over 20 MPG,:

Bandit I: E70-14 front tires, G60-14 rear, 204” long, 78” wide,

81” high, headroom roof up – 74”, headroom roof down – 55”

Bathroom with chemical toilet, 110V-12V refrigerator,

2 burner cooktop, 28 lb. propane tank, 14K BTU forced-air furnace,

110 & 12 volt converter, 12 gallon water tank, dinette bed.

Bandit II: E70-14 front tires, G60-14 rear, 204” long, 78” wide,

81” high, headroom roof up – 74”, headroom roof down – 55”

110 & 12 volt refrigerator, Deluxe combo bed.

1979 Keystone on Toyota 16SD

16’ 7” long, 6’ 7” wide, 8’ 3” high

14 G water, 10 G waste, Propane 25 lb.,

Refrig – 3 cubic ft., toilet

2.2 engine, 4 speed man. trans.. 4.11 rear axle

Tires – 7.50-14”, wet weight (no passengers) – 4,103 lbs.

Fuel mileage – 16 MPG (short test)

(Trailer Life 10/79)

1980 Datsun truck and Mobile Traveler 5th wheel camper

2 liter engine, manual trans.

Trailer – 17’ long, 7’ wide, 97” high, 3000 lbs.

0-60 MPH – 28 seconds, 40-60 MPH – 17 seconds

Fuel mileage: towing – 15.9 MPG, empty – 23 MPG

(Trailer Life 4/80)

1978 Galavan 400 on Toyota chassis.

16’ long, 6.5’ high, 6.5’ wide, roof height – 82”

Wet weight (no passengers) – 3,730 lbs.

Weight distribution: front – 37.5%, rear – 62.5%

Tires – 7.50-14” 6 ply, rear axle – 4.11, 4 sp. stick

2.2 liter engine. 46” X 70” dinette bed, 41” X 67.5” over-bunk bed,

5 gallon water, 5 gallon gray-water, 2 cube ice-box (standard)

Options: 11,600 BTU furnace, 2 cube refrigerator, 25 lb. LP tank,

2 burner range, converter with charger, dual battery with isolator, portable toliet

0-30 MPH – 5.7 seconds, 0-60 MPH – 20.5 seconds, 40-60 MPH – 11.5 seconds

Fuel mileage: 15.9 MPG highway,

Champion Home Builders, Canastota, NY

(Woodalls Trailel & RV Travel 11/78)

1979 bare Cab & Chassis specs:

Toyota 2189 cc engine, 95 HP (49 states) 90 HP (California)

4 sp. Trans. 1st – 3.67, 2nd – 2.11, 3rd – 1.4, 4th – 1, Rev – 4.18

Rear axle – 4.11, tires – 7.50-14” 6 ply radial, fuel tank – 16 gallon

EPA fuel-mileage (49 state) 18 MPG city, 25 MPG highway

EPA fuel mileage (California) 17 MPG city, 21 MPG highway

GVWR – 4,600 lbs. (Trailer Life 7/79)

First cab & chassis sold in 1974 – 1500 units sold. By 1978, 18,000 were sold.

6 ply tires standard. (Trailer Life 4/78)

Datsun bare cab & chassis: 1952 cc engine, 92 HP (49 states) 90 HP (California)

4 sp. Trans. 1st – 3.59, 2nd – 2.24, 3rd – 1.4, 4th – 1, Rev – 3.65

Rear axle – 4.375, tires E78-14” 8 ply radial, fuel tank – 16.9 gallons

EPA fuel mileage (49 states): 19 MPG city, 27 MPG highway

GVWR – 4,600 lbs. (Trailer Life 7/79)

Cab & chassis # 620 production began Jan, 1978. 8-ply tires standard.

(Trailer Life 4/78)

1975 Toyota Chinook 2.2 engine. 4 speed man. Trans. 4.11 rear axle

500 mile road test: mixed (four people) – 19 MPG, highway – 24.3 MPG (just the driver)

(Motor Trend 8/75)

1974 Toyota Round Tripper 2.2 engine, 4 speed man. Trns. 4.11 rear axle.

13.7 G gas tank, 2.5 c.f. ice-box, 5 G water tank,

Average fuel mileage – 18.7 MPG over 500 miles. Best on flat highway – 21.2 MPG

Lowest fuel mileage – 14.6 MPG

(Road Test Magazine 11/74)

1973 Toyota Round Tripper 2.2 engine, 4 speed man. Trans., 4.11 rear axle

52” head-room with top down. Up – 72.5” Overall height – 80”

2.5 CF icebox. 5 G water-tank, closet – 47” X 19.5” X 23”

Option package: 2 burner stove, propane tank, holding tank, stainless

instead of plastic sink, refrig, toilet, converter - $450 extra

Highway – high of 21.2 MPG, Mixed – low of 14.6 MPG

540 mile average – 18.7 MPG.

EPA “urban cycle test” – 17.1 MPG

(Road Test 11/74)

8.25-14” rear tires (Off-Road 10/73)

1979 Sand Pak on Toyota chassis, 17’ long

headroom – 6’ , 48” X 76” cab-over bunk with 32” headroom

Two rear bunks, 22” X 64”, and 22” X 76”, three-burner range,

3 cubic foot 110/gas refrigerator, 4,170 lbs. wet-weight (no passengers)

2.2 engine, 4 speed trans, 4.11 rear-axle,

0-60 MPH – 32 seconds, 40-60 MPH – 18 seconds

17’ long, 6’ 6” wide, 9’ high, 20 G water-tank, 25 G waste tank,

7.1 gallon propane tank, 12K BTU furnace, 7.50-14” tires, 16.5 G gas tank

Weight on front axle – 1,380 lbs., on rear axle – 2,790 lbs.

Worst fuel mileage climbing hills – 12.6 MPG, average mileage – 16.8 MPG

Retail base-price: $11,200 (Motorhome Life 5/79)

500 mile road test: mixed (four people) – 19 MPG, highway – 24.3 MPG (just the driver)
(Motor Trend 8/75)

My eyes go right to this one where taking 3 people out of the equation (we can assume that would be 500 or so lbs) = = to a > 4 mpg difference!!!!

HUGE!

I have only driven it for this one trip mate. I will continue to gather information surrounding the mpg. Right now, I feel like I have one of the only Dolphins on this planet that can do 70 mph on an incline. LOL!

(Motor Trend 8/75)

My eyes go right to this one where taking 3 people out of the equation (we can assume that would be 500 or so lbs) = = to a > 4 mpg difference!!!!

HUGE!

I have only driven it for this one trip mate. I will continue to gather information surrounding the mpg. Right now, I feel like I have one of the only Dolphins on this planet that can do 70 mph on an incline. LOL!

That road-test was with "mixed" driving so the weight difference made a substantial MPG difference probably during the "getting up to speed" cycles. I doubt it would of made a huge difference if just an all-highway test unless there had been a lot of hills to climb.

My 21 foot Minicruiser with the 2.4 can do 70 MPH on an incline. But it has to be a DOWNHILL incline.

Having added 500 + # of "stuff" for the rez my buddy and I headed to Canada in my 6200# Nova Star MH it made virtually no difference, even ran O/D it was no more of a slug, who knows maybe it took a few more seconds to get to 60 MPH it still got the some old 13.5 MPG at 60-65 as it all ways did. Came back home empty 13.5 MPG. They are bricks the coefficient of drag increases with speed a lighter load and 100 more HP won’t help that. Towing my camper with a Tacoma I can increase the MPG 3-4 MPG by dropping my speed from 65 to 50-55 same weight same truck.

• 1 year later...
On 3/2/2015 at 1:31 AM, kfisherx said:

I bought my Dolphin (first RV) about 5 years ago and have put 35k miles on it with mostly weekend trips to the beach and such. I am in this thing a LOT. When I bought it, the vehicle was practically new. Less than 20k miles and the interior looked and smelled new. Since I did not know what I was doing, I decided to put an Onan 3k generator in the thing so that I might run the AC on the road... Ah such a big mistake....

I read somewhere on this forum that I should not be afraid to customize my Dolphin (even though it was pretty pristine) and after spending years doing lots and lots of trips in her, I have learned that, for me, less is more... And I have also learned that for my truck, less is more too. My truck has the 22re 4 cyl eng and 3 speed auto transmission. With the AC and generator on it, I was getting around 12-16 mpg on road trips around here. I pulled around 14 mpg on the trip to the beach (over the coastal range). To say that the truck was under powered would be giving it too much credit. The transmission also never seemed to know what gear to be in.

Anyway, this past year, I started to customize. I started with getting all the windows resealed, the inside painted and the cushions all done in this very tough (water proof) black fabric. I am a huge outdoor nut and fish, swim, kayak and bike when I am on the road. Dirty is what I get most of the time. The new fabric is much easier to keep clean and the brighter walls and plain (not patterned) fabric gave the cab a nice clean look. I also took out the jack-knife sofa and had a lift top board put in it's place so I can easily access all the stuff under it for repair. I use this to either store my bikes or other stuff OR, I have another cushion that turns it into a lounge or bed. I have slept on it and like it just fine. The sofa was pretty heavy so that lightened it up a a lot.

Just last month, I had the AC taken out, the heater taken out and the generator taken out. In place of the generator, I have installed a solar panel and another battery with an 800 watt inverter. In place of the heater, I now use a ventless propane heater. I never used the AC so have no plans for it. I also had a solid fiberglass roof put on with tie downs all along the side so I can put things up there. The AC had literally caved in the roof, so I had to have it completely rebuilt anyway so I went all out. I could now put 1000lbs up there it is so strong.

This weekend I took her for a test drive and the difference in the way she drove and gas mileage was not even to be believed. I got 20 mpg over the coast range!!!! I could easily pull 60 mph up the hills that used to slow me down to 45 mph. The transmission did not struggle with gears at all. I never had to have the pedal to the floor. It was brilliant. I am kicking myself in the butt for buying that expensive Onan generator and more so, I am mad at the dealer for recommending it. Getting rid of it and the AC made my RV awesome. I will not be afraid to tackle the mountains anymore. Furthermore, the quiet heater and endless battery (without the noisy generator or expense of gas) make me very happy.

I retire in about 4 years, and my goal is to spend about 2 years in this RV on the road.

I just bought a 1986 Dolphin in really great shape. Looks almost new inside and out. I am doing a few minor things to it. I found two small plastic valves/plugs on the floor just to the right of the fuse panel that stick up through the carpet.  Do you have any idea what they are for?  For some reason I have very low water pressure unless I use the water pump along with the water hose hooked up to city water.  I am trying to figure that out too.