These v6's are not easy to work on. Both exhaust manifolds were leaking, right side is done. We can't even find a new left side manifold. Any ideas? The mechanic has a theory as to why it developed manifold leaks. I may have the numbers wrong but the pipe going to the cat is 2", cat to muffler is 1 3/4 and muffler to tail pipe is 1 1/2. He says the super hot exhaust gasses are backing up. The rear of the muffler has been really hot, you can see it. He is suggesting 2" all the way, with a free flow muffler. Does this make any sense?

Kahuna

These v6's are not easy to work on. Both exhaust manifolds were leaking, right side is done. We can't even find a new left side manifold. Any ideas? The mechanic has a theory as to why it developed manifold leaks. I may have the numbers wrong but the pipe going to the cat is 2", cat to muffler is 1 3/4 and muffler to tail pipe is 1 1/2. He says the super hot exhaust gasses are backing up. The rear of the muffler has been really hot, you can see it. He is suggesting 2" all the way, with a free flow muffler. Does this make any sense?

Kahuna

3 liter engine flows 130 CFM @ 3000 RPM. 180 CFM @ 4000 RPM. 225 CFM @ 5000 RPM

1 1/2 exhaust pipe flows approx. 170 CFM. 1 3/4" pipe flows 240 CFM.

Seems doubtful that the pipe is the problem unless your engine runs over 3500 RPM a lot. The muffler might be suspect though. Bigger exhaust certainly couldn't hurt.

Tells you which side gives most of the problems.

When I was having the ford exhaust leak fixed was told it was broken ex man bolts. He fixed that and said it was still leaking next step was a new manifold. I said how's the gasket and he said there is none Ford builds them like that. Once online I found several makers of the other side man, but many makers of the bad side. Also several of them came with a gasket. Looked up the Felpro gasket number and gave it to him over the phone. Since they come as a set, one for each side, I had him install both.

End of problem :) Gotta love the internet!!!

• 2 weeks later...