Stupid Battery Charging

jurob

The coach battery charges when driving down the road with the alternator. My rig did not come with a gen so I added ones portable Honda to the back so that I could use it when going down the road.

This may seem like a stupid question, but it's been bothering me.

When driving with my cord plugged into my running gen, won't both alt and gen be charging the coach battery? Does it bypass one for the other or???

Hope this makes sense.

The coach battery charges when driving down the road with the alternator. My rig did not come with a gen so I added ones portable Honda to the back so that I could use it when going down the road.

This may seem like a stupid question, but it's been bothering me.

When driving with my cord plugged into my running gen, won't both alt and gen be charging the coach battery? Does it bypass one for the other or???

Hope this makes sense.

No bypass needed. Charge to the coach battery is regulated by the voltage of the battery itself. The alternator and any sort of automatic battery charger will send power to the coach battery by the way they are programmed. It wouldn't matter if the alternator, an automatic battery charger and solar panels were all hooked to the coach battery at the same time. The coach battery will still only get charged when it needs it.

I'm wondering though - why are you driving with the generator going? To run the coach AC?

Tks, I really appreciate it.

Yes, to run the ac.

I've only got 7100to btu and my honda can run pretty much the whole coach. Going down the road with both cab and coach it gets very comfortable for someone like me who hates to sweat.