New Rig!

Hey all!

So I went ahead and bought the 1991 Winnebago Warrior a few nights ago! Shes everything I thought she would be :)

wondering if some of you v6 wizards could direct me at some helpful hints on what to watch for as far as repairs. The rigs been fairly inactive for the past 5 years. It does have a Jasper installed engine, 20k miles ago. All the receipts are there, and I noticed that a "knock sensor" was replaced almost yearly by the previous owners... Any insight on this?

just looking for shortcuts and hints from you winne and v6 owners... Thanks! :)

I can't help with your knock sensor question but I'm sure it's not something that should be replaced yearly. Any chance you're still on good enough terms with the seller that you could ask him why he did it? Or since you have the receipts, phone the mechanic and ask.

I have a 91 Warrior which also had been fairly inactive for the last couple of years before I purchased it.

Initially, I changed the engine oil, differential oil, air filter, spark plugs, distributor cap and rotor.

The transmission oil was milky so I drained and replaced the fluid. Drove it and replaced it again. After the next trip, I replaced the oil again and it has remained clear.

The 3.0 V6 is a non-interference engine - the valves will not contact the pistons if the timing belt breaks. Uhaul typically changed the water pump and timing belt as part of their 90,000 mile check. Some Uhauls may still have parts for these engines/chassis. The Uhaul site on ebay sells a number of parts relatively cheap.

A useful site for learning about Toyota engines/transmissions/system basics is: http://www.autoshop101.com/

The Toyota Service Schedule calls for the timing belt and valve clearance adjustment at 60k miles. I've no information on what U-Haul used to do. Many car manufacturers also have a time interval for replacing the timing belt. These are all 20+ years old, so to my way of thinking it makes good sense to change the belt sooner rather than later.

And it makes sense to change the water pump at the same time even if not called for.